Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fuel oil smell in cockpit

Default fuel oil smell in cockpit

I have kitfox model1V 1200 fitted with rotax 912 ,she flies beautifilly but at end of flight my clothes and everything in the cockpit smell of fumes. there are no visible fuel or oil leaks from engine or fuel system, is fitted with two fibreglass 13us gallon wing tanks and plastic header tank behind seat.the fire wall is well sealed .there seems to be a slight fuel smell during climbout whilst on maximum power which reduces with a small reduction in power.could anyone help with
    a solution

Default Re: fuel oil smell in cockpit

Have you checked your exhaust fittings? Where does your exhaust terminate?

Do you have any pressurized fuel lines in the cockpit, or is it all gravity feed? Do you have a mechanical fuel pressure gauge in the panel? These can be sources for leaks when you're flying.

If you're using rubber fuel lines to connect the wing tanks, it's a good idea to use non-permeable hose such as Gates Barricade or similar.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

I too noticed on my first flight ever in my newly acquired KF Vixen with 912 ULS (on the ferry flight home from MA to WI). My observations too. I expect to find out more soon because I will be changing out my engine mount. My expectation is some sort of exhaust leak or possibly exhaust coming through the floorboards from the high angle of attack during one of those high performance high angle of attack climbs. I'll report back if I find out.

Skot
    Vixen N24V

Thanks for your replies, My exhaust system is standard rotax muffler which exits
    lower left cowling slightly in front and to left side of radiater scoop.
    I do have an electric fuel pump installed behind the baggage sack area,but only use this on first start up. the fuel hoses from tanks to header tank are automotive type Gates SAE 30R7 CS0710407 X2 not for fuel injection.
    Even when in hangar when open cabin doors a strong petrol oil type odour is present, could the plastic header tank be emitting fumes?

Tony
    Kitfox 1V 1200 Ser DCU024
    Rotax912
    Tricycle undercarriage.

I'd be more worried about the fiberglass wing tanks than the plastic header tank.

In your area, is there ethanol in the gasoline? If so, it may have damaged your wing tanks, causing leaks.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Try swapping to the Gates SAE 30R9 product. The 30R7 hose is especially bad if there's Ethanol, but then your fiberglass tanks could be in trouble too.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

sounds strange but i had the same thing with the gas smell in my model IV . i replaced the hoses with parker non permeable hose and that took care of it
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

I am going to try fitting new fuel lines from tanks to header , I will let you know the results. AS far as Im aware i have not put any fuel in that has contained ethanol
    Tony
    Model 1V1200

you need to replace all the rubber hoses if not youll still get the smell . at first i replaced all my hoses except about a foot on each side of the header and i still had the smell until it replaced them .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa