Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: fuel oil smell in cockpit

Default Re: fuel oil smell in cockpit

Tony,
    Also check the fittings at the Poly header tank. These are notorious for weeping. Try wiping around the fitting with a paper towel and check for fuel stains or moisture on the towel and the nose test. Unfortunately with these fittings you are pretty much between the proverbial rock and a hard place. Not tight enough and they weep, two tight and they strip the threads and they weep. Also, there are thread sealants that work better than others - you might want to check the archives. Lots of effort over the years trying to make these things work.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

The headers just plain breathe. I've yanked my seat a half dozen times trying to kill fuel
    smell to no avail. So now I just leave the doors open in the hangar so it stays aired out.
    One day I'll embezzle enough from checking/savings that my wife doesn't see, and buy
    an aluminum header.

Regards,
    Jeff

Everything that has been said about the permeable auto fuel hose and potential leaking fittings on the poly tank are true.

I want to add another potential issue related to the poly header tank as I ran into a unique situation with mine. First off, my poly header tank was a product of the old defunct sky#%@&/EGT company and the one I recieved was sent to me just before I got the bankrupcy letter from sky#%@&'s/EGTs attorney. I am speculating sky#%@&/EGT was cleaning out the shop of old junk and passing it off just before the bankrupcy - the fitting holes were not straight either. Definitly some QC problems on the poly tank I had.

The poly tank I had continued to stink up the cockpit like a skunk....even after I replaced the permeable auto fuel hose with the good stuff. Somewhat puzzled after finding no fitting leaks of any kind, I removed the header tank, dumped and cleaned it and examined it carefully. What I found was several big bubbles in the poly casting which basically provided that there was no more than a couple thousands of an inch between the interior of the cockpit and the inside of the fuel system - the "nose test" confirmed this was where the stink was coming from.

John Mc Bean was just starting to make the aluminum header tanks at the time...got one of those from him and that solved all the fuel stink problems. John got it right with the aluminum header tank and it has done its job flawlessly ever since....no problems.

Not saying that you may have the same or similar issue, just to share that this is another potential deal a person may or may not run into on the poly header tank.

Using the recommended sealer everywhere on the fitting threads throughout the fuel system is good to do too.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF7 Trigear Flying
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul MN

Dave, I agree completely with your findings.

Since 1999 when Murle Williams made my first aluminum header tank I've never considered using the poly header tank. Too many instances of leaks and fuel vapor smells inside cockpits.
    The aluminum header tank also gives you just a little more fuel volume which means if your low fuel warning light comes on you have a little extra time to get back down safely but please don't test this feature if you can avoid it.

John has offered the aluminum header tank for some time now as an option. They are a good investment and will give you piece of mind that your header tank will not be cause for an interrupted trip.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Cool Re: fuel oil smell in cockpit

I just bought a beautiful Kf III. Despite a long extension on the exhaust pipe, I still get exhaust into the cockpit. There doesn't appear to be leaks in the system elsewhere. The plane has the Rotax 582. Anyone have any solutions?
    Thanks,
    Wayne

I'm flying a Model III, 582 and don't get exhaust in the cockpit when flying. I might get some oily smoke during warmup but it's a non-issue after I start taxiing.

I spent a fair amount of time lapping my exhaust elbow to avoid leaks. That and a thin application of anti-seize to allow the joints to move. Also, I used a little high temp RTV on the exhaust manifold gaskets to seal everything up nice.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

I just bought a KF IV last weekend and it needs a lot of work. New engine, and change all the rubber stuff like hoses. It's been setting for 10 years. This thread is a truck load of info for me to digest before I start purchasing stuff. It has the 582 engine which I think I'll have rebuilt vs. the 912. After reading this thread, can anyone recommend any other fuel related issues? On thing that is a little of an unknown at this point is a fuel leak stain down the right side door right below the fuel line. I thought it must be a bad line, but it now sounds like it could be a bad tank??? I sure hope not, it looks like the wing would need to be opened up to replace a tank.

With the tanks drained, take a good look inside at their condition. If you can, use a fiber optic inspection scope to look around. Other threads have mentioned ones that are inexpensive and work well. You're looking for peeling sloshing compound or other loose crud.

Make sure the tank drain is OK. You may be able to replace an O-Ring or maybe the whole drain fitting will need replacement. Use a good sealant when replacing the threaded fitting. Others have used Permatex aviation Form a Gasket Sealant 80017(3D) or 80019(3H). I used Dow Corning 730 RTV sealant which worked great, but is excessively expensive. Also it would be a good time to reseal the vent and outlet fittings.

Your wings should have some drainage holes near the trailing edge, principally to handle any water in the wings. Make sure there is a way to drain away any leaks before adding gas.

Leak test each tank (probably outside). I'd rig up a temporary valve and good tube to the outlet so you can drain it quickly if it is leaking. Then start filling gradually with ethanol free gas and see what happens. in general, some leaking fuel won't hurt your fabric, but it will damage Lexan. If you're seriously worried, remove your doors and upholstery beforehand.

Hopefully, it's something simple.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med