Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Oxidized Filler Cap

Default Oxidized Filler Cap

OK So my one fuel tank came from the factory with heavy oxidization. When I was sloshing my tanks a lot of rust flakes came out. I am worried this will keep happing. What can I use to clean the rust off the cap that wont damage the fibre glass?

Rust Flakes

Culprit

Default Re: Oxidized Filler Cap

I had similar issues. For me I just used a dremel with small wire brush to clean them up inside and out. Rinsed everything out and then coated with LPS-3. Once I started flying and having fuel sloshing onto them it seems to have taken care of itself more or less. A little surface rust now and again, but nothing that worries me. Wish they were stainless.

The old standard way to treat this is to use Naval Jelly, only on the rusted parts. I'd probably apply with a Q-tip and then remove carefully so it doesn't get on anything else.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

I wonder who the mcbeans supplier for these tanks are? A stainless fitting or even a skim of grease on the steel would go a long way here