Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: king kong 670

Default Re: king kong 670

Please forgive my ignorance. Since this is an experimental aircraft I am wondering if you had your AW done with a 582 and put in a 670 what had to happen FAA wise? does that entail a new AW from a DAR? new ops limits and 40hr phase 1? Does it effect the ability to get a condition inspection? Is it pretty straight forward and easily done? or is it typical govt red tape that takes a huge amount of time and headache to get done? I am under the impression that anyone can do the work but must have an a&p mechanic sign off on the log book. Just trying to find out what potential headaches I may have if I decided to do this in the future. Thanks Mark

Changing the engine is a "major change" that would require notifying the FAA. Most likely this would also entail a period of phase 1 testing. This may be as little as 5 hours. Most likely more, due to the 670 not being a traditional "aircraft" engine.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

If rotax rick use's your old engine to convert to 670, ie your old 582, it would still be the same engine wouldn't it? Iam asking because I dont know.

Thanks Av,
    That was my impression but a lot of guys seem to be changing so it must not be that big a deal with the faa. Do you need to go back and get a whole new AW cert? Or can you simply notify the Faa with whatever form they need and get an A&P to sign off on the work and put it into phase 1 for whatever the faa deems is appropriate? I was under the impression you had to reapply for AW with a DAR after said work was done since it is a "major repair" then get new ops limits with phase one requirements
    Mark

Craig, Rick uses PARTS of the old engine that are interchangeable. Its more than simply slapping bigger pistons in a 582. Not trying to be a smart ass here but if you put a jeep bumper on a ford pinto it doesn't make it a Jeep. So even if you interchange 50% of the parts it is still a different motor. MANY parts are interchangeable in rotax engines from 447-582 but they are still different engines. I would be willing to bet a lot of money that the FAA will not allow that as a "minor change/repair"
    Last edited by tx_swordguy; 06-24-2015 at 10:02 AM.

You do not need an AnP to sign off your work, engine change or otherwise on an experimental. He only has to do the annual conditional inspection. Read your operating limitations that the DAR issued with the airworthiness certificate. It tells what you have to do to notify the FAA about a major change. Jim Chuk

TXswordguy thanks I wasn't sure if it had the same serial number if that would count as same engine . that's why I asked. Oh and I didn't think you trying to be a smart---.