Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Acetone Tank Rinsing

Default Acetone Tank Rinsing

OK Everyone, Maybe I am missing something here but I am having no fun rinsing these tanks with acetone. The instructions say to tape of the holes with strapping tape. Every time I go for a rinse, the strapping tape falls off as soon as the acetone hits it. I have tried a lot of taping options. No go. I am about to install all the fittings and add a short piece of hose to pinch off but I was hoping I wouldnt have to because I want to avoid those fibre glass threads as much as possible. Any tips?

Default Re: Acetone Tank Rinsing

Corks or rubber stoppers held in with tape?
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Believe it or not I did it with chewing gum haha. No residue or anything. Worked nice. I got very little crap out of the tanks. I rinsed 4 times and i MAYBE got enough flakes during those 4 rinses to cover a 1/4 of your baby finger nail. Is this normal with the new tanks? Other guys were talking in terms of tables spoons coming out.

I think I used some kind of tape successfully when rinsing; maybe Gorilla duct tape. I did not notice many flakes after rinsing, but after the drained acetone evaporated out of my collection bucket, there was a sizable amount of "goo" left over.
    Doug
    Super Sport
    912ULS
    Constant Speed IVOProp

Esser, I had the same problem with the strapping tape, but used it anyway. It was really messy. I did four rinses both tanks. First rinse I got quite a bit of gunk, second a little less. Third less still and the fourth I got nothing but acetone.
    Stan Inzer
    912 ULS
    Dynon Skyview 10"
    N599KF

Put pipe plugs (plumbing threaded pipe plugs) into holes finger tight .Do not use pipe dope,not needed.

Laugh all you want it worked super well. I just put a little strapping tape over top.