Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rotax 582 fuel problem

Default Rotax 582 fuel problem

Anyone out there a Rotax genius.? I am at a loss. The engine runs rich. I have the right jetting I just replaced both choke plungers, set the choke adjustment all the way in to make sure the chokes are seating. Float level set so fuel is 1/2" from top if bowl. Vent holes are in the crossover tube that vents the bowl. Everything appears right but still runs rich. After running if you pull the carbs off fuel comes pouring out of the intake boots both of them. From full power when you pull back to idle it will idle at about 2500rpm and slowly bleed off to 2000 rpm which is where I have it set. I assume it does that because the intake boots are so full. Any help would be great

Default Re: Rotax 582 fuel problem

How old are your carbs? The float system is mechanical and parts in there do wear out which could cause the floats to stick. That will usually show itself by fuel coming out of the vents though. Are you using an electric fuel pump? Do you have a plunger primer set up in addition to your choke? Are you running ethanol fuel? Did this just start after it had been working good? Have you made any changes recently i.e. jetting? I think the first thing I would do is sit down with both your carbs on a towel on your work bench and tear them completely apart and look for any plugged jets/orifices and worn parts on the float system. Sometimes a teeny tiny piece of crud in a Bing carb can really mess with stuff. I had a partially plugged idler jet one time that I chased for a few weeks befor I finally found it. Hopefully it's something simple.

When you say that you pull the carbs after running
    where does the fuel come from?

Doess it leak just sitting there?

The primer lines have disconnected and capped. The carbs I would assume are fairly old, original to the plane which was built in 1993. This is a rebuilt project that I am working on so I have never seen this plane in action. No electeic pump, standard pluse pump. After running for say around 10 minutes on the ground and warmed up if I pull the carbs off fuel literally runs back out of both black intake boots. Even during the entire engine run the smoke never clears up. Pushes a fair amount of blue smoke even warm. Spark plugs always really wet looking.

the 582 run smooth at 3000 rpm plus?

how is the idle? smooth or not?

blue smoth is the oil ......

is the injection set properly or are you using pre mix?

if the needle and seats are working properly then no fuel should leak out.

runs smooth, oil injection set correctly so at 3000 rpm line on the level aligns with line on the housing. Needle and seat appear to be working correctly. This one really has me baffled. like I said all things are set up correctly. its just a mystery to me

i was running to lean.... pulled carbs... set c clip to number `4 slot (bottom)..... ran great....

so try c clip in no. 1, top slot of needle , might do it.... rick lamb

What prop are you running? I have an IVO medium 2 blade which made for high vibration near idle due to it's high moment of inertia. The vibration caused serious carb problems with fuel spilling from the overflow. I had to put in a clutch to resolve that.

Also, you might want to replace the viton tipped float needles. If you have the originals, the viton may have hardened preventing them from sealing properly.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Thanks for all the help

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r_Sed View Post
    What prop are you running? Also, you might want to replace the viton tipped float needles. If you have the originals, the viton may have hardened preventing them from sealing properly.
    good point.... my engine set up is something like the "03 edition... bought the project in florida 2 years ago... finishedand am not at 10 hours...

i am running a gsc 68" 3 blade...
    just had the 3-1 changed to 2.62 at lockwood... we couldn't get the power to the prop...

taxi test yesterday... seemed to indicate we are on target...

if you are ever in perry county, pa..... near harrisburg, pa.... fly by... there is 1400 feet in front of the house...

rick