Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rotax 582 fuel problem

Default Re: Rotax 582 fuel problem

The GSC moment of inertia probably isn't too high. If you suspect vibration is causing the float needles to unseat resulting in rich running near idle then check that you've got the blade pitch set properly.

Other threads here deal with GSC setup. Just be careful not to overtorque the hubs. Also, a general caution not to try high speed taxi testing in a Kitfox. You'll be on your way to your first ground loop in nothing flat.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r_Sed View Post
    Also, a general caution not to try high speed taxi testing in a Kitfox. You'll be on your way to your first ground loop in nothing flat.
    +1 on that advise, Paul.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I have seen this before and it was from debris in the fuel line that got lodged in the needle and seat.
    blew out the line and carb - problem gone.

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

I agree with previous posts, and think it could be .

If the prop pitch is set too coarse ( too low of a static rpm) it can make it run like crap.

If the seat and needle in the carb are not totally shutting off fuel you will have excess fuel at lower rpms. or possibly a drip/ leak when it is sitting not running .
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

I dont have the prop installed so I can rule out any vibe problem. Since putting thr motor on we have ran it about 2 hours total time. I have noticed a decrease in the rotary valve oil tank. Normal or not?

OK, you can't tell much about a 2 stroke operation without the prop load on it.

If it were me, assuming a used engine of unkown history, I'd first pull the exhaust header and inspect the rings and piston skirts. I'd also pull the plugs and inspect the tops of the pistons for melting or excessive carbon. You probably will need to replace the exhaust gaskets when reinstalling the header.

If that's all good then install the prop and get it pitched about right before you test it further. Then restore the factory jet settings, set the idle and see how it's doing.

Normally it won't consume oil from the rotary valve resevoir.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

running without the prop is not a good idea.. put the prop on and warm it up with old plugsd, then do a quick plug swap, fire it up and run it at full power for a minute or two, shut it down (dont let it idle for more than a couple seconds), and then take a look at the plugs. are then a nice tan? Black? white?

If the RV oil level has gone down a little, it could be that the system was not fully bled. I would fill it to the line and see if it drops again or if it hold now.

running rough at idle could be the carbs are not set right (air bleed) or not synchronized, or the needle seat is not holding.

The factory jetting chart should get you very close.

There have been alot of folks who had a rough running engine with the GSC prop that smoothed right out with the installation of an IVO or other prop. 3 blades will run smoother than 2 blades.

I think the marks on the oil pump lever are spose to line up at idle...