Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Best direct to carb air filter for 912UL?

Default Best direct to carb air filter for 912UL?

Which air filters to use when omitting the 912 carb heat system? Kitfox catalog lists the small K&N's, but I read several posts in the Matronics archives suggesting a larger filter was mandatory, and specifically mention K&N filter p/n RA-045V. What filters are TKF members are using, nothing came up in a search here? Looks like relocation of the coolant overflow bottle is required, any pics showing solutions appreciated. Thanks.

[edit] Also, forgot to ask how folks are safe tying the filter to the carbs.
    Last edited by dholly; 07-06-2013 at 07:15 AM.
    -Aeropro CZ Aerotrek A240 Tri-Gear SLSA 912uls
    -Airdale Avid+ on CZAW Amphibs 'FatAvid Floater' (building)
    -Kitfox 4-1200 TD 912ul (sold)
    -Kitfox Model III TD 582 (R.I.P.)
    -Avid Flyer Mk-IV TD (sold)

Default Re: Best direct to carb air filter for 912UL?

No reply -sigh-

Well I found (2) K&N RA-045V filters @ $24.16 ea. on Amazon, great deal!

Filters fit fine with no clearance issues, the offset throat makes positioning easy. Drilled the filter ends so I could safe tie the filter to the carb support bracket on one side and the carb socket security spring tang on the other. I also safe tied the filter hose clamp screw heads.

I temporarily relocated the coolant overflow bottle while I search for a stronger replacement tank. Gascolator, throttle and choke cables amongst other items pretty much limit my fire wall mounting options to the area where the bottle was located, but there is slightly less than 2" clearance between the right side carb filter and the fire wall.

Anyone know of a thin coolant tank that might fit here, or can suggest a non-FW mounting option? Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oooooo. Those are the fancy ones with the chrome caps!

Good for another 20 hp and 25 mph....

As a serious note, I was told by an A&P to zip-tie the two unused airbox arms together to keep them from vibrating and possibly causing a crack. Maybe useless, but... ?

I don't wire the filter to the carb. It can't come off and go through the prop, the only reason to tie, IMO.
    Last edited by Av8r3400; 07-15-2013 at 08:21 PM.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Thanks Larry. That's an interesting comment about the airbox mounting arms I wouldn't have even thought about, agree better safe than sorry so will do. Yep, got a little bling with my weight savings on this one. Also a very noticeable increase in static rpm and engine seemed to smooth out too. Runs very good but will need to tweek my prop now.