Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Instructors responce on Kitfox/LSA

Default Instructors responce on Kitfox/LSA

This is the response I got from a local instructor that I inquired too about helping me out with my sport pilot instruction. Kind of a downer, but I guess we'll see how it goes if I can ever get my plane out to Idaho!

"The Kitfox 2 is a Sport Pilot qualified plane but I don’t instruct in them for a number of reason.

1. The useful load (legal maximum weight above the airframe) is 524 lbs. With full fuel, plus you and me, plus any density altitude (look up that definition), plus a low horsepower output engine, that aircraft is only safe to fly in temperatures below 60 deg F. (very easy to over load the weight & balance of the airplane)
    2. The engine is a Rotax engine; They started their life on snowmobiles, and was “redesigned” to put on very small airplanes. The common perception is not if it will quit running, but “when”, If you look up in the NTSB aircraft accident data base you will find that the small homebuilt kit-type planes and the rotax powered airplanes are 6 times more involved in accidents and 8 times more fatal in aircraft accidents.
    3. The Kitfox is a tail-wheel aircraft and there is a reason why the insurance companies charge a whole lot more to insure them. The ground handling characteristics ie; take off and landings, not even to consider crosswind landings, require a very experienced tail-wheel pilot to consistently accomplish safely.
    4. Add to all of that, you being a hunter you probably have visions of looking for game from the air, ie; mountain country – which requires very high pilot skills. (see this mornings northwest section in the local paper about the fatal accident at Johnson Creek in the past couple days. This is a completely unsafe aircraft in any type of mountain country.

Now being in the airplane flying business, (started flying airplanes in the early ‘70s), there is a reason I don’t own this type of aircraft to instruct in. To my knowledge there are no traditional flight schools that have a Kitfox on the line for instruction in the Northwest.

I fully understand that learning to fly is an expensive proposition. However it is a lifetime investment that will bring great joy and utility to one’s life, - life long term. Consider this, if you had cancer would you go to the hospital in Grangeville or Orofino, or would you go to Spokane or Seattle? Would you trust the equipment in those small communities or would you want the best medical equipment available? A fair consideration of your life and those who fly with you – is exactly the same comparison. Scrimping on dollars when your life is on the line, - and it is – is the wrong way to go. Is there a fair number of these types of planes flying around, - yes there is – and a lot of the people in those airplanes lose their life in them too – many more so than in general aviation aircraft.

Default Re: Instructors responce on Kitfox/LSA

There is so much wrong with that letter I don't know where to start.

First this instructor isn't qualified to teach dog walking from what I see. He appears only interested in teaching heavy metal spam can flying. Stay away from them.

Second, contact Stick and Rudder, their ad to the left, they are a well regarded flight training center that uses Kitfox aircraft right there in Idaho.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Wow.....but sad to say I've heard that song before, i usually remind them that all aircraft are " experimental" from birth, and then i tell them which isle in walmart has the foot powder in it so they can get that nasty taste out of their mouth

Jason, your experience unfortunately can be typical when talking to instructors about training in any experimental design, not just Kitfox. This is also why you are so lucky to have Stick & Rudder and Paul Leadabrand so close by. He's not your average instructor.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Absurd. They should withdraw the man' license.
    Ever heard of the term Traditional Undercarriage (look that up). People flew taildraggers way before this man did - find another instructor - or better yet: a real one. One that sees the love of flying, and wants to encourage pupils in stead of scaring them.
    Good luck in searching - it shouldn't be too hard. You just had bad luck walking into this Dinosaur..

Jason,
    I agree with the sentiments already expressed. I doubt I would use this guy for primary instruction in any aircraft. I am sure Paul from Stick and Rudder is every bit as competent - did I really write that - what I should have said is likely eminently more qualified, but more than that has a feel for the guy he is looking at rather than only the guy he sees every morning in the mirror. I used Paul for a four year late BFR after destroying my first Model IV and building another.

That being said, in our Idaho back country group we always had at least one Model IV being pulled along by a R-582. He was a cautious pilot and liked to fly the highways, but for the most part, the only way you would ever know who was who was that he was the guy who always opened the "hood" to check the oil when we stopped for fuel. It didn't climb as well, but it went every place its brothers went. I also noticed he said Rotax, not two stroke or any other reference to the engine which caused me to wonder if he had ever even seen a Kitfox let alone the engine.

One additional thought, when I trailered my Model IV to the across town airport for the test flying, I made up an internal spring tailwheel support device. Depending on how you decide to transport it, I would be happy to loan you the suspension device if you would think it necessary. It supports the tailwheel off the deck with a spring that would absorb much of the road impact. If interested and need more info PM me.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

OK, you ran into one seriously uniformed jerk but at least he didn't try to string you along.

I flew from Chicago to Boise to do my tailwheel transition training with Paul L. Yes, it cost me some coin and it wasn't in my plane, but he's a really good instructor and we ended up doing some great mountain flying once I got the basics down.

Paul was fairly knowledgeable on the differences between models and though we were flying in his SS LSA, he told me what to expect in my model III. This served me well in doing all my test flying and the year+ since the first flight.

The only thing Paul can't cover is how to operate your two stroke. Mine hasn't skipped a beat, but I'm very careful monitoring the EGT's, run it with a thermostat and make sure the jetting/ needle positions are correct for the conditions. Take the time to learn what they like and they're pretty good. Still, try to keep that emergency spot picked out.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

just curious ,..did you buy the black model 2 in jersey? nice looking model 2 there

my model 2 insurance was $430.00 a year ,..that was 1999/2000 thru avemco

WOW, I should be dead, I fly mine everywhere and every way that he said would kill me. I must be one lucky guy to still be flying!

too bad the paper you printed that email out on is rough n tough... that wont even make good butt wipe!