Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Plane shipping or transport

Default Plane shipping or transport

I am needing to get a Kitfox2 from New Jersey to North Idaho. I've called a few shipping outfits and there all around 3500$. The plane is on a trailer but if I had to I would pay to have it flown out and just build a new trailer. Anybody have any ideas???

Default Re: Plane shipping or transport

Jason, have you tried partin shipping? we have a model 7 coming in august to Wilmington nc. so they will be on this side of the country don't know if that works for you.

Thats not a bad price, a little over a $1.00 a loaded mile, guessing your trailer is an open trailer, not good if you run into weather.
    Are there any OTR transporters in your area?
    Sometimes you can get lucky and find someone looking for a back haul that has a box trailer... Just a thought

It cost me about $1500 to bring my IV back to Wisconsin from upstate NY in 2009. I drove it back in a 26' Uhaul truck.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

flying a model 2 across the USA ,..I wouldn't want to be on any type of schedule,..cruise is 80 mph,.wide open,..headed west subtract head wind,.. might be 65 to 70 mph ground speed,...you'd have to land just about hourly to refuel if it has the standard dash tank with 1 wing tank,..your best bet is to trailer it,.. if your thinking of flying out and towing it back and it is an open trailer,..I'd find a boat dealer that has the capability to vacuum wrap it and seal it all but the wheels,.. strap the tires down to the trailer and keep her under 70 mph on the way home,..do not put any straps, ropes ,..anything over the fuselage to tie it down on the trailer,..
    rent a car with hitch,..you'll get a smoother ride,..its not a heavy set up, trailer and airplane might be 1200 lbs plus minus if its a modified boat trailer type trailer

before I would trailer it that far ,..there is another thing that must be addressed,..if the builder or seller does not have the transport supports for the wings,..they go from the leading edge spar down to the lower longerons ,..they must be installed to tow ,..especially as far as your going..

Chase
    Last edited by SkyPirate; 07-02-2013 at 08:22 PM.

Jason,
    I just did a mapquest from my location to yours and came up with 2600 miles. Depending where the airplane is located in NJ it will be at least another 200 miles and perhaps 350 miles to Atlantic City area. At $3500 your estimate is coming in well under the typical $1.50 per loaded mile. You could do the driving yourself and get the cost down to about $2500 or so depending on fuel burn/lodging cost. That's about 5 days on the road doing an average of 1,000 miles per day. I struggled with going to Texas for an unfinished Speedster kit and there was just no way to get the transport costs down to $2,000 with me doing the driving and that's assuming no unforeseen hassles which is probably not realistic. I've done a couple of these transport deals and it comes down to racking up miles on your vehicle and maybe getting minimum wage for your time. That's the "UP" side. Good luck.

We did a trip to New hampshire from Mid Missouri a couple weeks ago, total miles driven was 3200 miles , fuel costs in a 4x4 F-150 ecoboost super cab was $700.00 give or take, now add a trailer to that , i'd dare say add another $300, my speeds were between 70 and 90 , we werent trying to get the best mileage because of the limited time we had to visit