Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to set up a spot page

Default how to set up a spot page

hi guy's. I am planning to go to the factory flyin September and would like to set up a spot page for my wife to follow as I travel. can anyone help me with this as i'm not real good with this thing called a computer. I am so looking forward to this trip but I promised my wife I would not go if we had a hurricane coming as we live in what is known as hurricane alley so every one please pray to the weather gods for me. thanks to all.

Default Re: how to set up a spot page

James not sure if your chosing a southern route or a straight line rte,..Im not far from Fort Leonardwood MO if its in your path,..if you need a place to rest your head I can hook you up

even if your stopping for lunch " skypirate's kitfox owner's taxi service" for lunch is up n running
    Last edited by SkyPirate; 06-28-2013 at 05:57 PM.

Step 1: Buy a Spot Messenger Best Buy just had the SPOT 2 for $65 last week. Amazon is usually hard to beat. http://www.amazon.com/SPOT-Satellite.../dp/B002PHRDO2 Be advised the Spot 3 is just about to be released and it supposedly has more features than the 1 and 2 did.

Step 2: Go to www.findmespot.com and click on "Activate my Spot"

Step 3: Follow in the instructions on the screen, Pay your $100 for your subscription and then it will walk you through setting up your OK and HELP messages and who they go to.
    Last edited by SS7Flyer; 06-29-2013 at 03:15 AM.

thanks for the info ss7flyer. will check it out and have it ready for the trip.
    skypirate, thanks for the invite. I plan to go direct on a course from 03nc to chy, wo. and then on to mcall from there. I hope to make it around st,louis the first day then on to chy. the next. of course this plan is all subject to weather and any thing else murphy may come up with. this trip is more to see this great country of ours and and visit with other airplane people. if I don't make it that far on the first day maybe I can still stop by and talk airplanes for an hour or two the next day. I plan on leaving Monday the 9th. that will give me 4 days to get to macall. if in can't stop by on the way out i can try and stop on the way back.

A few of the airports around stl have curtesy cars available( fill up your plane west of stl if you can, $4.85 if average 100 ll but a few airports are carrying mo gas too, "avgasnow" app lists both, (TBN) fort leonardwood forney field has 100ll only but im 13 miles from there and if your using MOGAS i would be happy to meet you there with gas, im 18 miles from M48 $4.85 there too but its a keyed pump and you have to call the local PD to get fuel, allot of the smaller airports are still playing "catch up" and dont have card readable pumps yet but some do

Chase

As a rule 90% of the weather in Missouri travels a corridor north of interstate 44, it travels up from oklahoma NNE and watch out for the Stealths their MOA and home base is west of STL

"Myradar" app gives aviation weather etc but internet conn. required, you can add points of your route lower left side on the app, it will give you all flight weather info to the minute and its free :-)
    Last edited by SkyPirate; 06-29-2013 at 09:46 AM.

SS7Flyer,
    I've done what you said but my "boot prints" and "I'm OK's" don't show on the map. My "I'm OK" text messages go to the people on my list but nothing shows on the map. Any further advice? Still trying...
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

James im going to guess chy is Cheyenne? ident FEW 1346 nm from 03nc to FEW, ith a stop at STL .advantage,..you will be chasing the sun and gain an hr central time zone,..
    this time of year we get mostly south westerly winds ..mid day average 10 to 15 kts..fall time we get more north westerly,. same wind speeds mid day but it usually calms down quicker in the fall,..so you will have mostly head winds unless you get lucky and we have huge slow moving low pressure mass ,..I was just curious so did a little research,..sounds like an adventure

hi skypirate, yes that's my plan but you know how plans go. that's why I set aside 4 days for the trip out. hope it is enough. thanks for all the local info and if anyone who has mountain flying experience would like to pass on any tips I'm all ears. thanks all

Look at your terrain maps , your headed west,so your leeward , try not to use cuts between ridges, best to stay on top til your past high ground,at least 1000' above your highest point of route , start your climb 5 / 10 miles out from the high ground, depending on aloft wind speeds , faster winds will cause more turbulence,more sink on leeward sides, look for elliptical clouds, if you see them dont get at their altitude or in their path, very high wind speeds indicated when you see elliptical clouds,
    Depending on your gps some programs will allow overlays of wind direction / speed/ turbulence and report the altitudes, " myradar" is one , it has a free and a paid program, free requires internet access, you can download it at app store to familiarize yourself with its systems, paid runs of gps satellite signal it's an aviation program so it has your pireps etc