Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Western North Carolina owners

Default Re: Western North Carolina owners

He started out building transmissions ,... Maybe?

ok the suspense is killing me Mitch...need a tire iron to pry the grin off or?? LOL

I wonder which model your contact has,..hope it was a 4 or up with 912

just checked 3benny3 has a model 11,... a great plane the model 11,..awesome stol
    Last edited by SkyPirate; 06-29-2013 at 08:37 PM.

Skypirate I am back from the airport The gentleman's name is Tom Tschantz "that is the correct spelling"

Tom is retired from Navy aircraft carrier duty and I thanked him for his service as I was never enlisted but have the utmost respect for those that have sacrificed to keep my sorry butt safe and free.

Tom has a flying Kitfox II with a 582 and a Kitfox 4 under construction 582 for power on it also. Both airframes are painted in a beautiful WW II era navy for the II and Marines for the 4 paint scheme.
    I was afforded the opportunity to sit and examine the II in anyway I wanted. He offered a flight but by the time we finished looking and talking it had gotten way to dark.

I found the kitfox to be a little snug in interior space and a little long in the reach for the rudder pedals.

Tom is a fairly tall man and so he had very little padding in the seat area both rear and bottom. He flies barefooted and recommends I do as well for the purpose of feeling the rudder. so during my period of sitting in the right seat I was without shoes. I think with proper padding in the seats and shoes the rudder distance will be just fine.

The width is a tight but again I am looking a very well equipped series 6 and I think the cabin width is a little wider on the 6 versus the II so I think I will be comfortable in that as well.

I have owned and flown a 172 for many hours and though it was snug in width I was comfortable and I understand the 6 is a touch wider than a 172

All things considered I had and still have a smile on my face from the opportunity to get a hands on feeling for the type of airplane I feel sure will provide me and the wife many hours of enjoyment and adventure. we have already talked about taking a little camping trip somewhere asap after getting comfortable with the Kitfox, so yes looking very forward to the future of flying in a Kitfox. Many thanks to Tom for meeting me on short notice and all the contributors on here for the input. I will keep everyone posted as to what happens next. Mitch

the 6 is wider and depending on the builder might have adjustable rudder pedals,..the option for bubble doors is always a thought too ,..adds some elbow room,..the 2 has an under chambered wing and is a great local flyer,..with awesome stol,..the 4's and up have a different airfoil ,..better cruise ,..4's and up also have better endurance,..is the 6 your looking at a tail dragger or tricycle?

if your 172 was a square tail,..rudder inputs will be similar,..roll rate kitfox is allot quicker,.. I have been flying a square tail 172 with go300,..can't wait to get my hands on another kitfox,..I'm looking for a 4,..but recently a 5 has caught my eye,..tail dragger 912 ul,..

I have a tail dragger series 6 contracted to buy,the owner has been on vacation for the last couple weeks and will be returning 7-7-13 at some point I will travel to his location and fly it back

Powered by a Continental IO-240B fuel injected and IFR certification. It is honestly one of the more beautiful airplanes I have ever seen. I came across it on Barnstormers about 6 weeks ago and the next day it wasn't there fortunately I had sent the owner an email that first day but it was several weeks before he contacted me back. I figured it had sold immediately but as it turned out the day after listing the tornadoes hit Oklahoma and he removed the listing so he could help with relief efforts for several weeks and contacted me once he returned.

So after a couple days of negotiating and researching all the details we have a pending deal when he returns from vacation.

I have heard both pros and cons for the continental powered Kitfox but for me I think it will work out great. I was actually planning a lycoming for the Highlander that I was planning to build before the Kitfox came along,but I would love to hear some thoughts from you guys on the forum. Thanks again Mitch

My 172 was the last year for the fastback 1962 and it had the swept tail. It was a great airplane that me and the family 4 of used occasionally I even taught my son to fly it take off to landing when he was 13 he now flies ultralights at age 19 no actually today is his 20th birthday.

I flew to and from Houston Texas for many trips during some land development projects I was involved with. That was a great venture until the banks collapsed and sent the economy into a spiral of which I still have some pretty great concerns about the overall stability.

I hear you on the stability, my wife is from Dallas, still trying to get her interested in flying, she is nervous about it but is slowly taking an interest, my 7 year old goes with me everywhere and she cant wait to get her own plane, that's now,.. We will see in a few years

Sounds like your getting a nice plane tail dragger is great , i prefer the third wheel in the back too, just doesnt look right in the front :-)
    Awesome on your son flying too and happy birthday to him

Tried to share a youtube like , worlds largest foam RC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIzS...layer_embedded

Inspiration :-)

Hope the link come thru sending from my phone, didnt work

will see if i can link it with computer later

ok think I got it right
    Last edited by SkyPirate; 06-30-2013 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyPirate View Post
    if your 172 was a square tail,..rudder inputs will be similar,..roll rate kitfox is allot quicker,.. I have been flying a square tail 172 with go300,..can't wait to get my hands on another kitfox,..I'm looking for a 4,..but recently a 5 has caught my eye,..tail dragger 912 ul,..
    My square tail 172:

In the movie "Empire of the Sun" the little boy calls the P51 the "Cadillac of the Sky." In that context my 172 is the "Rambler American of the Sky."