Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Float Reccomendation?

Default Float Reccomendation?

Im in the market for a Kitfox IV or higher. I also would like an amphib. Id like to hear about float recommendations. The good ones and the ones to avoid.
    Im in the San Francisco Bay Area, so salt is a consideration.

Thanks
    (Are there any Kitfoxers in the Bay area?)

Thanks

Default Re: Float Reccomendation?

IMHO, the least expensive and practical option for a late model Kitfox is going to be the Zenair (1450?) floats. And even though aluminum vs composite, they will handle a lot of saltwater. I have a friend that has a set on an Avid Flyer since the 80's. He operates mostly in brakish (sp?) water. After more than two decades the aircraft needed some tubing replaced, but the floats are still like new. I've flown the Zenair floats quite a bit and they are a good little float for the money.

If your budget allows, I would also recommend checking out what Wipaire and Aerocet have for LSA floats. They are two of the most respected names in float manufacturing in the world.

Default Re: Float Reccomendation?

Not quite the Bay Area, but there are four of us at Cameron Park - 3 Model IVs and a Light Squared, all flying. There is a build going on at Vacaville and a couple flying in the East Bay and possibly more.

We're on the Highway 50 run to Lake Tahoe.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel