Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aero-Dynamics

Default Aero-Dynamics

This one is for any of our many aviation engineering types...Or if you have tried to solve this same problem.
    I want to bounce this off of you to find out if my aerodynamic thought processes are correct.
    Problem:
    My Kitfox IV has been flying very well for the last year. When I first got the AW ticket, I went up and realized right off I needed a trim-tab on the rudder as I was needing to hold some right rudder to fly straight. The trim tab is about 6" long and bent off the trailing edge of the rudder to the port side. I ended up needing to bend this tab into the airflow at Approx 45 degrees to fly without right rudder. I know this generates quite a bit of drag which I would like to get rid of.
    Solution ?
    My thoughts lean towards shimming the engine mount canting the engine slightly to port side. If this thinking is correct, how much would one start shimming? Or is this even a practical solution?
    Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

Default Re: Aero-Dynamics

Dan,

This is not an answer to your question, however, your comment inspired one I had.....you said the rudder tab is 6" long, what is the other dimension...i.e. how far does it extend back from the rudder trailing edge?

Curious because I am in the middle of engineering an adjustable rudder tab for our KF and trying to determine how big to make the tab.

Thanks,

Dave S

Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    Dan,

This is not an answer to your question, however, your comment inspired one I had.....you said the rudder tab is 6" long, what is the other dimension...i.e. how far does it extend back from the rudder trailing edge?

Curious because I am in the middle of engineering an adjustable rudder tab for our KF and trying to determine how big to make the tab.

Thanks,

Dave S
    Dave, It sticks out about 1" into the slipstream.
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

Tab needs more chord, IMO. Mine is 2-3" aft of the trailing edge of the rudder by 5" high.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I tried to shim the motor on our ss7 also to center the ball with no help.
    do a search under " rudder trim tab " where this was discussed with some good pic's of way's to do a trim tab.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmil View Post
    I tried to shim the motor on our ss7 also to center the ball with no help.
    do a search under " rudder trim tab " where this was discussed with some good pic's of way's to do a trim tab.
    Thanks Jim,
    I appreciate the reply. Was curious if someone else had gone down that road. How much shim did you try? I have a trim tab and it works fine...just trying to eliminate it.
    Sure seems like there would be something that could be done. I know we have much more expertise on this list and it sure would be nice to get a discussion going about this learning more about the good, bad and ugly alternatives. I have a feeling that too many folks on here have stopped replying to technical questions because it too quickly turns into a shooting match. Is it that or more along the lines of knowing where the good fishing holes are and not telling?
    Last edited by DanB; 06-16-2013 at 07:16 AM.
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

hi danB, I used 3/16 shims at the motor mount. the problem I could see coming with more shim is spinner to cowl interference with enough shim to fix the problem.

I'm no engineer but how about using a wedge rather than a tab is there any benefit to this aside from cosmetics? this one might be worth a look http://www.averytools.com/prodinfo.asp?number=9883 or just carve one from balsa wood

I have used a wedge but not on a kitfox but a Jodel DR1050 and very effective it was too!
    Dave Holl
    Building Kitfox MK7
    Rotax 912ULS

Some thoughts. I eventually put a trim tab on my first Model IV. It was the riveted on type and it worked well. I don't recall the dimensions but it conforms to the dimensions mentioned thus far. Previously, I had used a wedge and it also worked OK. It was a trial effort and I made the wedge of formed sheet aluminum and taped it to the trailing edge with 3M vinyl tape. It also worked well, but a permanent attachment was too much of a challenge to me.

This time, I tried something I had been thinking about for the last five years of the earlier Kitfoxes life. Doing something like the wing - creating an airfoil on the side needing the additional lift. I was able to do this with a servo and a set of cams that warped the two lower ribs which were made of carbon fiber arrow blanks. It works fine getting the left turn tendency out. The problem is that once trimmed, I find very few occasions that I want to adjust the trim. If I were to do the same thing over again, I would put in a jack screw accessible with an allen wrench so it could be adjusted on the ground saving the 8 oz. of servo.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel