Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Aero-Dynamics

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Aero-Dynamics

This one is for any of our many aviation engineering types...Or if you have tried to solve this same problem.
    I want to bounce this off of you to find out if my aerodynamic thought processes are correct.
    Problem:
    My Kitfox IV has been flying very well for the last year. When I first got the AW ticket, I went up and realized right off I needed a trim-tab on the rudder as I was needing to hold some right rudder to fly straight. The trim tab is about 6" long and bent off the trailing edge of the rudder to the port side. I ended up needing to bend this tab into the airflow at Approx 45 degrees to fly without right rudder. I know this generates quite a bit of drag which I would like to get rid of.
    Solution ?
    My thoughts lean towards shimming the engine mount canting the engine slightly to port side. If this thinking is correct, how much would one start shimming? Or is this even a practical solution?
    Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

Default Re: Aero-Dynamics

Dan,

This is not an answer to your question, however, your comment inspired one I had.....you said the rudder tab is 6" long, what is the other dimension...i.e. how far does it extend back from the rudder trailing edge?

Curious because I am in the middle of engineering an adjustable rudder tab for our KF and trying to determine how big to make the tab.

Thanks,

Dave S

Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    Dan,

This is not an answer to your question, however, your comment inspired one I had.....you said the rudder tab is 6" long, what is the other dimension...i.e. how far does it extend back from the rudder trailing edge?

Curious because I am in the middle of engineering an adjustable rudder tab for our KF and trying to determine how big to make the tab.

Thanks,

Dave S
    Dave, It sticks out about 1" into the slipstream.
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

Tab needs more chord, IMO. Mine is 2-3" aft of the trailing edge of the rudder by 5" high.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I tried to shim the motor on our ss7 also to center the ball with no help.
    do a search under " rudder trim tab " where this was discussed with some good pic's of way's to do a trim tab.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmil View Post
    I tried to shim the motor on our ss7 also to center the ball with no help.
    do a search under " rudder trim tab " where this was discussed with some good pic's of way's to do a trim tab.
    Thanks Jim,
    I appreciate the reply. Was curious if someone else had gone down that road. How much shim did you try? I have a trim tab and it works fine...just trying to eliminate it.
    Sure seems like there would be something that could be done. I know we have much more expertise on this list and it sure would be nice to get a discussion going about this learning more about the good, bad and ugly alternatives. I have a feeling that too many folks on here have stopped replying to technical questions because it too quickly turns into a shooting match. Is it that or more along the lines of knowing where the good fishing holes are and not telling?
    Last edited by DanB; 06-16-2013 at 07:16 AM.
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ