Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aero-Dynamics

Default Re: Aero-Dynamics

I know this generates quite a bit of drag which I would like to get rid of.
    If you can get your hands on a copy of "Stick and Rudder" by Wolfgang Langewiesche, he has a very enlightening discussion of the function of the rudder in chapter 11, "The Rudder".

The bottom line is the rudder is on the airplane to correct a design flaw. We as pilots though demand that we have it so we can be in control of the torque. That creates drag.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

hello high country, I in fact did buy the trim tap from avery tools and found that there wedge was not enough to center the ball. we made a thicker wedge out of pvc trim board and taped it on the rudder in different places until we found the best position for our plane.
    I posted pic,s of the tab on the thread "rudder trim tab" . sorry I don't know how to move them over to this thread.

Lowell,
    Your latest trim design sounds interesting. I will have to take a look at the next fly-in. Are you making it up to ID in Sept?

Tom, I actually have a copy of Stick and Rudder on the shelf. I'll have to go back and re-visit that chapter. Still, no getting around the fact that the little tab poking it's head into the slipstream is generating drag. Be it... drag that we as pilots are using to our advantage, but it comes at a price. If the tab is bent to the port side it compensates our need to hold right rudder. The price that is paid is in some right rudder authority... If I'm in left field here, tell me how. I may be barking up an imaginary tree to think of a way to alleviate this, but that is why I put this post up. Wanted to hear from veterans.
    Thanks
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by DanB View Post
    Lowell,
    Your latest trim design sounds interesting. I will have to take a look at the next fly-in. Are you making it up to ID in Sept?

Tom, I actually have a copy of Stick and Rudder on the shelf. I'll have to go back and re-visit that chapter. Still, no getting around the fact that the little tab poking it's head into the slipstream is generating drag. Be it... drag that we as pilots are using to our advantage, but it comes at a price. If the tab is bent to the port side it compensates our need to hold right rudder. The price that is paid is in some right rudder authority... If I'm in left field here, tell me how. I may be barking up an imaginary tree to think of a way to alleviate this, but that is why I put this post up. Wanted to hear from veterans.
    Thanks
    No, I don't think you're barking up the wrong tree. I do think any device or design to counteract the torque or thrust line of the engine and prop will create some drag but there has to be two ends to the spectrum...highest drag on one end and lowest drag on the other.

There are a lot of certified designs that use an offset vertical fin to do it. That may be an efficient one. I have always wondered about just putting a stronger rudder pedal return spring on one side??
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Quote Originally Posted by DanB View Post
    Thanks
    Dan,
    That is the plan. I am hoping to renew some old acquaintances and forge some new ones while there. I am still waiting for my repaired radio and that gives the excuse for spending the time putting the final touches on my external video camera mount.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel