Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: flaperon adjustment

Default flaperon adjustment

I just finished my first yearly condition inspection on my model IV with 60 hours TT and no issues were found on the airframe. Airplane flew good before the inspection but flew the first flight this morning and now the plane wants to bank to the left. I made no adjustments to any flight controls but after I lubricated the flaperon bushings I noticed I could move the flaperons much easier than before. I lubed them when I built but not since. Do you think the dry bushings were masking an incorrect flaperon setting?

Dan G.
    Model IV 1200
    Jabiru 2200

Default Re: flaperon adjustment

Dan, do you have a rudder tab? Did you adjust it or maybe even bump it during the inspection? This could add to the appearance of a "heavy" wing.

Just a thought...

(We should still get together sometime. )
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

That was the first thing I thought of too but didn't seem the problem as the ball stayed centered in my T/B. I'm going to fly in the morning to check out further. I'll let you know what I find, and yes we do need to meet up sometime Larry.

Thanks,

Dan G.

I'm still having a hands off left bank on my airplane. Rudder trim tab is not the problem in my opinion. I think it would be best to check the entire flight control system per builders manual. Anyone have any thoughts on a fix.

Thanks,

Dan G.

Do you think the dry bushings were masking an incorrect flaperon setting?
    No, the flaperons will equalize in flight. The control linkage out of adjustment wouldn't cause a bank. Flaperons would cause a hands off bank if one happened to get bent up or down a little on the trailing edge which would act like an aileron trim tab.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Were wing tips removed? Any other fairings? Could they have gone on in a slightly different position?

Ok , I think with all your help I'm starting to understand what's causing my heavy wing condition, yes I did remove my wing tips for inspection so I need to take a closer look at their position. Again, thanks to all and I'll report on my findings.

Dan G.

I have an airplane that flies straight now! Thanks to all on this site for all the help! I had to tweak the trailing edges of both flaperons, left down and right up to correct the heavy left wing. I met Team Kitfox Member JimS at a local event and he showed me what to do.......How great is that!!

Dan G.
    Model IV
    Jabiru 2200

It was really tweak left flaperon up and right flaperon down to bring up the left wing in flight.

WISDAN,
    Happy to hear life is good again. You are now another convert to my "DON"T MESS WITH THE LIFT STRUTS IF THE WINGS ARE ON STRAIGHT" Order Of The Low Wing Flyers.
    Sorry I didn't reply to your email but I just now saw it in my junk mail.
    I'm sure we'll see each other at Iola this summer.

JimS