Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: First Time Engine Run

Default First Time Engine Run

Any suggestions on priming the Rotax 912 fuel for first run. Without an electric fuel pump or primer this seems like it might prove difficult and I am looking for some suggestions.

Default Re: First Time Engine Run

AK,

Not a problem.

A few ideas.....

Consider the there may be enough head pressure from the wing tanks to overcome the check valves (check valve springs are extremely light) in the mechanical pump and the system may fill up anyway.

If the fuel system has gas in it when you loaded oil and primed the oil pump, you would have rotated the prop enough to more than assure gas is present at the carbs, provided the fuel valve was open.

While doing the rotax burp when checking the oil prior to startup, the prop likely is rotated enough to deliver fuel to the carbs.

Once you start cranking to start, the fuel pump will have quite a few strokes to pressurize the system.

I recall that I disconnected the fuel hose at the pump and opened the fuel valve for flow testing anyway before first start and that resulted in gas being right at the mechanical pump and the engine started after a very few revolutions.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF7 Trigear
    912ULS, Warp Drive

Thanks. That is reassuring. I wasn't sure how big of deal it was going to be without a manual primer or electric fuel pump.

AK360,
    I do have a primer installed on my 912A (80hp) and I usually give 3 to 4 pumps when cold. Engine starts right up within 1 to 2 seconds.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

I started mine initially from the header tank alone (below the pump and carbs), no priming at all. Cranked twice for 4-5 sec and she roared to life
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive