Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: radiator position

Default radiator position

Hello

Is there anyone who has build his radiator under the cowl?

I am rebuilding a KF3 with a 912 and don"t have a radiator yet .

Eric

Default Re: radiator position

Hello Eric

When you say under the cowling. Do you mean inside of the cowling? Or hanging below the cowl. The normal place is below the floor board about 10" ahead of the gear. If you go to member photo albums you will see lots of examples.

Dutch

I mean inside the cowl.

Eric

Mine is not a Rotax but my radiator is mounted where the lower cowl opening is. It works great.
    Mike Bentley
    Model IV-1200
    Jabiru 2200A #438
    Rotec Aerosport LCH Heads
    Ellison EFS-2 Throttle Body
    Prince Prop (64x34)
    My SPOT Page

I designed and had built for me my own radiator. I had an all aluminum one made with 1" wide tubes (2 rows).

I use it for the 914 so it would be larger than what is required for the 912.

I chose aluminum because I wanted to save weight and I chose the 1" wide tubes because I run Evans coolant and wanted to get as much cooling surface area for the heat transfer to take place.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My idea was to mount the radiator in place where normaly the oilcooler is mounted.
    Do You think it wouldt give temp problems?
    I don"t have a radiator yet and an original kitfox radiator is very hard to get in Europe(from the USA the shipping costs are abnormal high)
    I am thinking to use a radiator from a motorbike.

Eric

John K,

Curious, what is the identity of the material you have covering your firewall on the engine side of your S7? What is it's temperature tolerance?

Are you able to determine if the material on the firewall reduces the noise penetration to the cockpit compared to other Kitfoxes you may have been in?

Sincerely,

Dave S

Hello Dave,

The material is a heat barrier covering. It is made by Thermo-Tec.

It is an Adhesive Backed Heat Barrier

The Adhesive Backed Heat Barrier protects parts and components from radiant heat. It can be used in applications to protect painted surfaces, plastic parts or any component from the damaging effects of radiant heat.
    Adhesive Backed Heat Barrier is made up of woven silica with a flexible aluminized finish. The highly reflective surface of the material is capable of withstanding radiant temperatures in excess of 2000°F. The adhesive backed side handles direct and continuous temperatures up to 300ºF.

I installed it for it's heat reflection properties. I don't think it has any sound deadening properties as it is pretty thin material (maybe .125")

The Thermo-Tec Company does make sound deadening blankets that I think attach in a similar method.

Eric, I followed instructions by the Forum, and bought one at McBean's (I can help you with some workable ideas about the cost, if you like). Don't think it is a good idea to not use a radiator in the Netherlands, though.

Hallo Hans

Ik wil wel een radiator gebruiken alleen wil ik die onder de kap monteren.
    Volgens Rotax moet hij ong 500 cm/2 zijn.

Vwb de oliekoeler,ik lees vaak dat de koeler het gehele jaar afgeplakt wordt om de olie een beetje op temp te houden.
    Olie die niet op temp komt vervuilt erg snel door vocht.

Een radiateur en de buizen kopen bij Kitfox kost een vermogen aan verzendkosten.

Eric