Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Kf5 stiff outer rudder pedals

Default Kf5 stiff outer rudder pedals

They were installed by other owner. Both outer pedals does not move as easy as inside pedals. Normal? I removed hold down bracket and same. .....???
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Kf5 stiff outer rudder pedals

Nope, not normal.....there have been quite a few historical posts on this one......if you do a search on the appropriate search terms on the list you should find quite a few posts about this deal.

It's basically misalignment or inadequate clearance or both...and fixable

Sincerely,

Dave S

My guess is that they didn't remove all the powder coat or paint from the inner torque tube. In order to move nicely, they need to be free of paint and greased. It'll be an afternoon job to disassemble, remove the paint, and reassemble.

Instead of sanding the powder coat which can take hours I recommend using a gasket remover. Make sure you mask off the areas where you want to keep the paint.

Thanks for the quick feed back. I remove the assembly and still tight. It has to be the clearance between the outer tube and the plastic bearing. I will check the bearing, he may tighten too much. I will have to drill rivets and.......I am working on cowl and doors today.just want to resolve issue before I put the firewall on for the last time.

I just ran into the same issue on my condition inspection.. After several attempts I found the culprit to be the bolt and nylock nut holding the bushing to the floor bracket was too tight. The bushing should be able to move freely against the bracket, it can move inside the tube, but there is too much friction in the tube for the return springs to overcome. So I loosened the nylock nut about one turn, the previous owner had it cranked tight, and now they are smooth as silk and the springs return them perfectly. One other issue I found was that the rivets along the outer tube were rubbing against the wooden floor boards, so I also put nylon spacers under all 3 floor brackets to give the tube more clearance from the floorboard, reducing friction. Hope this helps.
    Bryan
    Project Kitfox
    Bowen Aero LLC
    Kitfox Model 5 Lycoming O-290 D powered
    Building a Model 7 Apex powered
    Redding, CA
    http://www.youtube.com/c/ProjectKitfox

Just a follow up on stiff peddles. I removed peddles, found a little rust on the inside of tube where bushings are inserted ? Removed rust, 400 sanded nylon bushings, put on silicon spray and reassembled. Now I have very smooth movement in both peddles. Take the time to find the problem, 1/2 day work will save the head ache later. Thanks note, I also cut holes in the bottom of sheet metal to allow for inspection/servicing peddle in future