Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: enginemount

Default enginemount

Hello all

I am installing the brackets from the enginemount on my engine(912)
    But in the upperbrackets there are no holes in te front for te bolts .
    is tehre a special reason for that I have to drill them myself

My ignitioncoils are mounted on the engine on the right inletmanifold
    where do You mount the coils when the manifolds are changed from left to right?

Thank You

Eric

Default Re: enginemount

Eric,
    It has been a long time, but looking at the manual and prodding my memory, I recall making a hole finder to drill the forward bolt holes. I have no idea why the factory left that up to the builder.

Thinking about it, probably the easiest way to make a hole finder would be to take an appropriately sized bolt - 10 mm as I recall and chuck it into a hand drill and spin it against a bench grinder to grind down the head to a point. Screw that into the hole and install the adaptor using the rear bolt and rub the forward end against the pointed bolt head to make a scribe mark on the powdercoat. Using that and a center punch, you should find a real close center for the hole. Drill using a step drill or a sequence of drills from small to the size you need to keep everything centered.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by HighWing; 05-20-2013 at 11:58 AM. Reason: add photo
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

I did the same thing, using a set screw ground to a point and added a small slot offset from the point, to be able to screw it into the gear housing.

Thank You

How did you mount the ignitioncoils on the engine?

Eric

Eric,
    On my first Model IV, I made the mount as described in the manual. In time one of the stainless steel mount legs broke. I then moved the module to the framework that secures the oil tank. It required rerouting the ignition wires and lengthening some. Since the modules are costly items, many have moved them to the firewall or the firewall side of the mount to isolate them from the engine vibration.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel