Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kitfox and beginners

Thumbs up Re: Kitfox and beginners

That's correct: back to the original question. As correctly pointed above by Rick, summarizing the various opinion, looks like that KF is not good for beginner like me (I fly from 20 years, but with a totally different thing: maybe this experience could be helpful in some way, but doesn't help with too sensitive commands). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I have to get, of course, my license (here we have two main tipe of "leisure flight" license: one for non-powered, the other for "with engine"), and I will get it not flying with a KF, so the first 40 flight hours will be with a simpler plane. This could be a good start, then pass to the KF (and to taildragger too, still with lessons). In this case the KF would be anyway my first plane, but not the first to pilot. Does this make sense to you?

Again, as others here pointed out, I would thank all of you for a so enlightening vision of the various aspect of flying a KF!

It's just a pity that nobody of you live here in Italy

Default Re: Kitfox and beginners

Quote Originally Posted by allbee View Post
    Not to confuse you any further. .
    I agree with you Steve,..the kitfox is allot of fun ,..I have your landing roll beat though I landed on a 75 foot long sand bar right off the Cape (Cape Cod Mass) in front of the Kennedy Mansion,..and then a half hour later I took off from that same sand bar,..ok ,..ok,,I'll give all stats there was a 25 mph head wind ,.I did draw some attention from some little black jeeps too ..hence the 1/2 hour delay but,.. I didn't break any rules ,.. they were impressed that a plane could land that short,..and I am sure even more impressed that I took off from the same sand bar.

According to the CFI's at a local Light Sport training center,GA pilots more often have problems with the handeling of light sport aircraft than transitioning ultralight pilots, the reason they felt ultralighters were used to the more responsive controls than most GA pilots.

Thanks, Everyone: Not to curtail any more conversation or flying stories, but from my standpoint, I have my question answered. I really appreciate all those who tried to present what I should expect. I can assure you that should I do a Kitfox, I'll go through whatever training and practice it would take to be proficient. Shame on me if I were so short-sighted that I planned on having such a limited skill set that only the most docile airplane was suitable for me to fly. Thanks again. See you on another thread soon. Rich P. S. To the guy in Italy who said it was a pity we don't live in Italy, you are right, my friend. It's a beautiful place with wonderful people. Buona sera!

For what it's worth, I flew Cessna's (152, 172, 172RG, 182, T182RG)
    and Piper's (Warrior, Archer, Apache), and a Mooney M20C out of various
    flying clubs until I bought my Series 5 Kit. Other than that I have some
    sailplane time. Other than sailplanes, all of my flying was tri-gear.

I got my tailwheel endorsement in a Citabria, and then checked out in a
    Cub, and a C140 while building. I had about 50 hours tailwheel time when I
    finished building.

When I finished my Series 5, taxied it a bunch, and then tail up taxied it
    a bit down the runway. To get used to the rudder. It was more sensitive
    that the other planes I have flown, but not excessively so.

I have six years flying time in the Kitfox now, and I do not think it is a
    difficult plane to fly at all. It is a bit squirrely on pavement on windy
    days as compared to the other taildraggers I have flown, but this is
    the only issue I have with the plane. I have groundlooped it once
    because of this. However, I chose to fly on a gusty day, and that's not
    the planes fault.

If you are a decent pilot with tailwheel training, there is no reason to
    not consider a Kitfox. They are easy to fly.

Regards,
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by allbee View Post
    Tough to fly is in reference to the cessna. You should start out in a training plane. The kitfox is high performance. The turn rate is fast. If you have a taildragger it is more responsive than most. If you have the long wing, it will get blown around more in a cross wind. Just things I observed between the c180 and the kitfox. It can be done. Just have a good CFI with you when starting out is all.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Griswold View Post
    To the guy in Italy who said it was a pity we don't live in Italy, you are right, my friend. It's a beautiful place with wonderful people. Buona sera!
    Well, I see that my statement could be read wrongly (also if you were really nice in your post): I'm NOT comparing in any way Italy with US! (by the way, I started working for US industries in 1987 with DEC, then Compaq and now HP ).

I was just saying that is a pity that we can't meet personally due to the distance. I strongly believe that all of you are really nice guys, and it's a pity that hardly we will ever fly together (but who knows...)

If someone of you will ever be in Turin, just drop me a line!

And moreover: now I'm less worried about flying a KF (I'm trying to find someone who own one here, but as for now, none close to me). Thanks to all, and, please, don't stop with your comments and findings: more info, more knowledge!

Ciao!

http://www.maxbelloni.com

I forgot to ask: anybody here (or anyway known) which started flying building a KF, ans consequentrly had it as first plane?

Ciao,
    ---
    Massimo (Max) Belloni

mine is first plane. It now has 1400 hrs and on the second engine.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Max,

I am on my second Kitfox. My first was a model 3 and I purchased it about a month before I got my pilot's license so yes, it was my first plane and it was a taildragger. I did the bare minimum flight hours for my license (38.5 hours including my check ride) and then got my tailwheel endorsement in 3.5 hours. I did the last 2.5 hours of that in my Model 3 with my CFI and he felt I was perfectly ready so he signed me off. I am telling you this not to say that I am an amazing pilot because I am far from it but rather to let you know that a tailwheel kitfox as a first plane is perfectly fine if you feel comfortable...I flew mine solo with only 41 hours total time in all aircraft.

My new Series 7 is way more airplane than the Model 3 and is a much more stable feeling airplane while still maintaining that agile Kitfox feel...I love it. The Model 3 was a blast! Very light (had the 80hp Rotax 912UL) and performed well. However, the smaller tail and non-differential aileron control made for a lot of footwork to keep the ball centered. I didn't mind this, in fact it was a welcome challenge as the last thing I wanted was to become complacent with the rudder inputs like many Cessna drivers become over the years. Lets face it, you can fly a 172 or 182 without even touching the rudder except for ground operations and you would not notice much a difference. They are great planes but they don't teach a pilot to fly the rudder and pretty much any taildragger will require attention to the rudder especially during takeoff and landing. They are not any harder to take-off, fly or land than the tricycles, simply different. Get some instruction in a tailwheel and if you feel comfortable, by all means make your first plane a Kitfox...You will love it.

Quote Originally Posted by maxb View Post
    That's correct: back to the original question. As correctly pointed above by Rick, summarizing the various opinion, looks like that KF is not good for beginner like me
    I am a Danish guy who just bought a KF 4 here in Italy. It was being tested by a well trained tail dragger instructor and he was flying the KF as was he born in it. Please contact Marco Neri on email address: mneri@enjoy-ulm.it or go on his home page: www.enjoy-ulm.it. I am sure he can help you. Ciao, Sidenius