Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Covering upper wing tank

Default Covering upper wing tank

I'm unrolling the fabric to cover the right upper wing, but before I proceed, can someone tell me if I should coat the upper surface of the wing tank with POLYTAC, over the 2 coats of dried polybrush? I searched the forum data base but still am not clear. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bob
    S-7 Super Sport, Flying
    Phoenix,AZ

Default Re: Covering upper wing tank

Poly Tac only around the perimeter of the wing. Specifically the leading edge, the trailing edge and the end ribs. Then shrink the fabric, including the fabric over the tank.

After you shrink the fabric apply your Polybrush to fill the weave. Poly brush is also an adhesive so it will attach the fabric to the tank and ribs as you apply it.

JTP

Thank you, I'm glad I asked before proceeding. What a great
    Resource the forum can be.
    Bob
    S-7 Super Sport, Flying
    Phoenix,AZ

My SS7 manual also said to coat all the rib capstrips (especially the undercambered botom ones) with Polytac (possibly two coats-my manual is out at the hagar) and LET IT DRY. Then apply fabric and shrink. Then soften the dried Polytac on the capstrips with MEK (maybe it was a diluted mixture of Polytac & MEK) thru the fabric to glue it down (use weights on the undercambered ribs). Then do the normal Polybrush applications. No Polytac on the tanks.

Jim

There has been debate over the years on whether to use the Polyfiber Manual or the Build manual for covering instructions. Polyfiber doesn't accept the early Kitfox no rib lacing necessary advice. Polyfiber also recommends a final shrink at 350°. This temp would wasp waist the aft longerons in the early models and the factory recommended no more than 300° for this reason - lots of debate there. The rib issue is likely because Kitfox used the one inch capstrip where most other airplanes use half inch or so, and aluminum ribs less than that and with much less surface area for adhesion, rib lacing was essential. Also, the Polyfiber's manual was written as a one size fits all to comply with FAA standards in certified aircraft.

Both of my airplanes had the fabric glued to the rib cap strips as instructed in the build manual. This is probably not necessary with rib lacing, but we have all heard of the belt and suspenders guys - that's me. Both were also rib laced.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Aaaah, the memories that picture brings back. Nothing like the smell of MEK in the morning.

I coated the top of the tank with polybrush and let dry. Later, when the polybrush is brushed onto the overlying fabric it "reactivated" the dried coat on the tank and really adhered the fabric well. I seem to remember someone commenting that it would be hard not to have a lumpy surface if you used poytak over the top of the tank. I don't remember who to give credit to for this but it has worked well so far.
    Maxwell Duke

Kitfox S6 IO-240 Built it (Flying since 2003)
    Maule M7-235C Sold it (liked it though)
    RV-10 IO-540 Bought it
    Zenith CH-750 Built with 7 friends (DAR Vic Syracuse)

Smile Re: Covering upper wing tank

Thanks for the posts! I followed your advice and will brush on the first coat of poly brush. Another skill to enjoy.
    Bob
    S-7 Super Sport, Flying
    Phoenix,AZ

Great job....and your final shrink is at....300 or 350...

Actually ended up about 310 degrees and it feels very taught without any warp age. I did put 3/8 inch aluminum stiffeners in the trailing edges. Finished first coal of poly-brush today.
    Bob
    S-7 Super Sport, Flying
    Phoenix,AZ

Looking good!
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive