Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parking Brake Lever

Default Parking Brake Lever

Just an FYI:
    Two levers come with the optional Grove parking brake; one with the square hole aligned with the lever sides- use this one. The other has a square hole aligned as a diamond-do not use this one.
    I used the correct one but still had an issue where the brakes were fully released only with the lever in the center position-not good. I had to "clock" the lever another 90 degrees on the shaft to get it to be ON at the aft position and OFF at the full forward position.
    I don't believe all this was explained on the brief instructions that came with the brake valve.

Jim

Default Re: Parking Brake Lever

Thanks for the extra information Jim.

Scott

I started to work on my parking brake today. The instructions are pretty minimal compared to the rest of the kit. The issue Im having is that the handle moves about 170 degrees so there is no way to get full throw of the handle when coming through the center console. To that point, with either handle and in no position can I get the valve to look like the photos in relation to the "little dimple" on the opposite of the shaft. I must be missing something.

with the parking break installed, the throw on the arm is far from a 180 degree swing. Im guessing mine travels from full forward to full aft around 140 degrees. Im estimating. The valve closes quickly and remains closed for quite a bit of travel until it opens again. remember that it works upside down as well so you may find that once installed the open/close throw is reversed. Parking break is on with the lever full forward. You would then remove the lever, rotate the valve stem 180 degree and reinstall the arm.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Also, the brake comes with two arms. Make sure you are using the correct one.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

I think something is getting lost in translation... it helps to know that it stays closed for most of the throw. Mine rotates about 170 when not installed. Of course it would be closer to 140 installed. Mine seems to have stops internally at 170 degrees.

Ahh, yeh, If I am not mistaken, mine spins all the way around without stops.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Figured it out... I thought they were stops... didn’t want to break anything, it was just the cam engaging!

So what is everyone using to seal the npt threads. I don’t believe we’re supposed to use Teflon, but sure looks like it in the manual. Can I use this permashield gasket dressing and sealant that came with my kit? Or is there something better for the hydraulic system?

Permatex high temp on pretty much everything.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3