Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kitfox-4 Porche powered ?? Yes !!!

Default Re: Kitfox-4 Porche powered ?? Yes !!!

Looks a little narrow for me, but I'm sure Roger has a plan...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Actually, Larry (av8r3400) just sold me his used spring gear, as he has upgraded to a taller gear (at a great price too, thanks Larry !! ) But my custom wood gear is a real space-saver in the garage, so I think I will keep it on, well until taxi time anyway !!!

Though I have to say, after 9 airplane projects, my wife is kind of desensitized when it come to airplane parts laying around the house (you know, behind the couch, under bed, ect...) Still, it is HER kitchen, and if she found out,,,, well, I think she already suspects something .....
    Roger
    Last edited by Av8r3400; 09-14-2013 at 08:27 PM.

Howdy All;

Well it’s Saturday night, and the wife is still out of the country, so I figured, what the heck, I would just hang the engine on my Kitfox tonight !!!
    As mentioned before, it’s a Kitfox model 4, the engine is a Great Plains conversion of a Type-4 Porsche 2400cc motor. As this engine fit requires a custom Engine mount and Cowling (which I bought premade), I still have to make my own custom firewall. So, I figure since the landing gear is wood, why not make the firewall out of cardboard? Ok, well it’s just a handy material to cut and add to, as needed, until I get the final firewall shape worked out, but it works good (though it kind of looks like a fire hazard, a “real” firewall !!! ). From the pictures, you can see that clearance from the motor to the firewall is good, despite it needing to be so close to the firewall to keep the CG in check, but the magneto clearance is minimal, so I will need to bang out a bit more room in the firewall.

The primary Distributor ignition is not yet installed, but the intake and exhaust pipes are done, they just need to be mounted (then I will test fit the cowling).
    Well, that’s it for now
    Roger
    Attached Images Attached Images

Another Saturday night, and another set of progress pics on the Porsche install. This Model 4 uses a special over-sized cowling, custom made for VW engine installs. As you can see by the pics, it is somewhat oval shaped to give more lateral room. However, the dang thing was warped, and I had a heck of a time finding enough clamps to align and hold all the seams, had to heat treat the front too. But, it turned out well, with only a somewhat wider seam gap on the front top cowl to front bottom cowl seam, but it will still work fine.

As I had problems with cam locks not fitting tight enough on my model 2, and wearing the fiber glass due to vibration,, this cowling will only use screws and nut plates. Lots of room under the cowling, so fit is not a problem, but I did had to use 1” spaces on the fuse front cowling support bracket, as the cowing is about 2 inches wider at the firewall then a stock cowling.

Now, time to pull the cowling off again and turn my cardboard firewall into a real metal one!!!!.
    Roger

Looking good Roger!

As much as I give VW's a hard time for Kitfox installs... It looks good.

I wish you luck, Roger.

I hope it works as good as it looks.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Well the custom oversized stainless firewall is all cut and colecoed up, with still time to get drunk again on Saturday night !!!

Man, stainless is awful to work with, my drill bits are destroyed, my hands are full of cuts, I broke the jaw on my power shear, my dremmel cutoff wheels are in dust, and my hands are full of cuts (need I say more). The main panel is 0.035 sheet, the closeouts are 0.018, which was a lot easier to work with, but still sliced me up good.

Tomorrow, I will pull it apart, clean it up and get it final riveted, then I can go back to putting things on the plane, and stop make or taking things back off (for now). I still need to figure out where the oil cooler will go, but everything else is already in place (in my heads anyway) and fits up fine, thanks to the oversized cowling.
    Roger

I replaced the cardboard firewall with stainless, and the wood landing gear with aluminum.
    Looks more like a plane kit now !!!
    Add some accessories under the hood, then put the cowling back on for a final fitting and I will be ready to install a prop and maybe run it soon too !!!
    Roger

Exciting times ahead...way to go...can't wait to hear of the first flight...not too far off!
    Chris Holaday
    Looking at the Model 5 or newer for size!