Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kitfox-4 Porche powered ?? Yes !!!

Default Kitfox-4 Porche powered ?? Yes !!!

I finally got my VW engine for my model 4, and boy is it a doozy. A real Cadillac of VW engines, it’s the coveted direct drive Great Plains 2400 cc Type-4 VW engine (as seen on barnstormers), also known as the Poormans Porche engine, used on the Porche 914. It boast more power, greater cooling capacity and is race-track strong (or so I hear).

It’s one of 20 special type-4s produced by great plains VW and features a high dollar custom forged crank, Force-one main bearing and Dual ignition. And the best part, it was a lousy $1,800 bucks !!! Of course, the cheap guy I am, I bought it stripoed down, so it still needs a few accessories (most of them actually), but I figure I can have it rebuilt and decked out with dual ignition for about 5K total investment (not counting a prop), set with a compression to run 87 octaine car gas and still produce around 80 HP max.

And yes, it does weight more, but there are a few tricks to dropping he weight (plus I have adjustable counter weights in my tail, if need). I will get some pics for you, but mostly it looks like a type 1, except the exhaust does not exit the sides of the head, they exit the bottom with both spark plugs on top of the engine.

Pics to follow, but first I need to order up a Kitfox-4 vw engine mount. Anyone got a spare model-4 firewall for sale?

Roger

Default Re: Kitfox-4 Porche powered ?? Yes !!!

See attached
    Attached Images Attached Images

Howdy all;
    Just got my Great plains Porsche type 4 Engine mount today for the Kitfox-4. Weighs in at 2 lbs, 10 oz and has some nice welding on it, way better than I could do. Nice size stock too, should keep the old engine attached well enough. Picture shown with scale object, mounts pretty close to the fire wall I think, probably will need to make a cutout for the backup magneto ignition (due to arrive with the other engine accessories this week).

This mount cost $450 bucks, and needs to be reamed out and painted of course, but it’s a fair price for something like this I think.
    Roger

Good going!!! Please update this thread as you progress with your installation!!!
    Grover Wright
    Flying a KF IV-1200
    ROTAX 912UL

Howdy All;
    Well, I have finally stopped taking apart the Porsche Aero engine, and started putting it back together !!! I am getting a lot of work done, cleaning and making parts, since my wife left the country to visit her mom, but the house is looking a bit ragged (now it’s more like a warehouse). This larger variant of the type-1 engine offers more cooling fins, which should really come in handy with the slow flying Kitfox-4, though weight and CG are a constant concern. I have modified the exhaust and intake to try and move the engines CG back, along with most the accessories mounting locations, and ordered a light weight wood prop. But beggars can’t be choosers, and with the prop now on order, I still only have about $5,200 bucks in the whole firewall forward, which includes custom Engine mount, over-sized cowling, new duel ignition and electric start + Generator. I hope to have the whole thing mounted up and test running in 6-8 weeks.
    Roger

Roger -- looks promising.........

You marriage looks less promising LOL

better get it cleaned up and installed or you be in the dog house... for life LOL

Lol brings back memories, before i got married i had a whole airplane on its wheels and wings on in my living room, you were liable to find airplane parts in the dish washer , pizza box's on the wings, and of course the cockpit was always free of debri so at any given time i could climb in and make airplane noises while looking out the sliding glass doors lol
    Ahh the good ole days envy is stirring

Chase

Better hope the wife doesn't have access to this forum , or you be in REAL trouble from those pics.

Dick B

Where can I get rugged landing gear like that???

Looks like it might be retractable
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive