Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: 912 Carb Separation.

Default 912 Carb Separation.

Hello everyone,
    Here's my two cents worth of the a cure for the carburetor coming apart from the flange due to excessive vibrations. When this happens, (and it has in the past) it's an immediate shutdown of the engine. Not something we would like to experience in flight. I've read almost all the threads and no one has come up with this cure. This is cheep and easy to install, and they hold the carb tight against the flange with no play. I fabricated the small tabs, (pictured next to the flange bolts) drilled the holes for the flange bolt and the tie wire hole. Found a screw for each carb that fit the threads on the carb, measured the depth of the hole and cut the screws off short so not to bottom out. I used .041 safety wire for extra strength and wired them together. I also removed the spacer on the clamp around the flange and tightened it down just a little tighter. Don't think they'll be coming apart now.

Ray in AJ
    Kitfox IV 912ul N869Y (Building)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: 912 Carb Separation.

Ray,
    Thank you for taking the time to post this.... Excellent pictures.

I was also wondering about this problem, and this may just be the solution for my enogine installation! (Still covering!) Thanks again!!
    Grover
    Grover Wright
    Flying a KF IV-1200
    ROTAX 912UL

Thank you Grover for your kind words. But in all honesty and correctness I must add an addendum to my original post. Thanks to a message from Lowell in which he pointed out that the original purpose for the spacers in the flange clamp was to prevent someone from being a little too heavy handed when tightening them. I knew this, but in suggesting the removal of them, I may be causing someone else who doesn't know, to split the rubber flange and thereby produce a different set of problems.

My solution (in which I just completed) was to reduce the length of the spacers by .024. The original size of these spacers is .314, I filed them down to .29. Doing this will give one half turn more to the clamp and a better fit. I also replaced the original screws with slotted screws and safety wired them in place so they could not become loose and defeat all these efforts. I know, I know, the likely hood for them to become loose is pretty high, but I sleep better knowing they never will.

Ray in AJ
    Kitfox IV 912ul N869Y (Building)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ray,
    The beauty of having a forum like this, is how someone like you can come up with an original idea, post it, and then have others review and make comments that improve upon that original concept.

Well done Ray and Lowell!

Grover
    Grover Wright
    Flying a KF IV-1200
    ROTAX 912UL