Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 582 Oil Injection ?

Default 582 Oil Injection ?

Hi all, I recently purchased a Kitfox IV-1200 with a 582 and oil injection.I have been told the oil injection is flowing 100:1. How can I confirm this?

If you remove the lower rear cowling there is a round dial labeled 1-10 for the oil injection and the current setting is 3.5. 1 meaning less flow and 10 meaning max flow i assume.I am currently mixing 100:1 in the fuel and filling the injection tank which is supposedly at 100:1 for a mixture of 50:1.

I am also considering removing the system all together.Any help would be appreciated, I have found nothing in my manuals supplied with the airplane

Default Re: 582 Oil Injection ?

I've found my oil injection system to be very reliable. I don't pre-mix. The pump arm should be actuated by a cable tied into your throttle to be able to adjst the rate of injection according to engine speed. I don't know of any other adjustment on the pump.

Here's a link to a Mike Stratman article on oil injection: http://www.800-airwolf.com/pdffiles/ARTICLES/part45.pdf
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Thank you for that link. I'm going to drive to the airport and get some pictures of what I am talking about.

There is a circular shaped valve with numbers on it and a dial you can turn. It clearly has oil going in and out of it as you can see through the clear oil lines.

It's had me puzzled for a few days now but it seems like the aircraft is running super rich.

There is a circular shaped valve with numbers on it and a dial you can turn. It clearly has oil going in and out of it as you can see through the clear oil lines.
    If you haven't left for the airport yet...that sounds like a fuel pressure regulator for an electric fuel pump. Check to see if that is what that valve is. The oil injection lines are tiny in comparison to the fuel line.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

The dial is for the mikuni fuel pump. I'm not sure what it should be flowing, I've only used it to start the engine. I haven't needed to use it in flight

I found some issues when i pulled the carbs off a few hours ago.

For starters, the oil injection is setup wrong. At idle (3,000rpms) or with the throttle completely closed, the alignment marks are completely off.

The cable which actuates the lever is way too short and has no more adjustment to it. Hence the lever alignment marks not aligning properly.

The oil injection lever does not move smoothly and it will not return to the idle position on it's own, it requires manually nudging it with your finger to return it to the idle setting. The return spring has very little tension to it.

Pulled the plugs out, they arent horrible yet but they have around 3 hours on them and have some signs of fouling, probably because the engine is getting way too much oil.

This is the injection lever at full idle cutoff. The alignment marks are off. When the throttle is set to actual idle of 3,000RPMS this mark is way off.

Here is the linkage at full throttle, it hits the cable mount slightly, it will not return to idle completely when I pull the throttle back.

Here is a plug I pulled after idling, taxing and doing a runup to 6,200RPM's

Fuel pump adjustment, wish I had some more info on what the settings are.

This is the oil bath level after I leave the airplane alone overnight. I have to top it off before I start the engine each day. If I run the engine it doesn't affect the level, only when the engine is cold and has been sitting for a day or two.

First thing to check on the too short oil injection pump cable (Bowden cable) is the other end of that cable on the throttle reverser bellcrank under the panel above the left side rudder pedals. Is the end of the cable housing seated well in it's slot on the end of the bell crank? Big feet like mine kick it out if I'm not carefull and that pulls the oil pump inner cable and lever to the rich side even at idle. Picture below.

The oil pump lever return spring may need some more preload. Can you make another wrap on it?

The fuel pressure range for the Bing 54 carbs is 3 psi so yours set at 3 is corect. For what its worth, the mikunie pulse pump puts out the correct pressure for the Bing 54's with no pressure regulator needed. Are you sure there is not an add on electric pump in series or parrallel with the mikinuie? Tht would explain the addition of the fuel pressure valve?

The oil loss from the Rotary Valve reservoir is kind of mysterious to me. It could an external leak in a hose or fitting. You should be able to see that if it is the case.

Or, a crank shaft seal leak next to the oil pump/water pump cross shaft inside the engine. That usually blows the oil out the vent in the reservoir cap while the engine is running though.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by t j; 04-19-2013 at 09:17 AM.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

the oil bath leak is in a lower seal according to an A&P's inspection. I was told it is no issue and just to check the level after each flight. the only time it seeps is when the engine is cold.

the bowden cable for the oil injection pump is just too short, I cannot lengthen it at all, it is fully adjusted out. Just looks like somebody installed the wrong cable. Even with the kink removed from the cable, it still will not let the oil injection lever return to idle settings.

the local A&P just told me to remove the gear from inside the oil injection pump and plug the fittings on the bottom of the carb inlets. It should fix all the complication

the local A&P just told me to remove the gear from inside the oil injection pump and plug the fittings on the bottom of the carb inlets. It should fix all the complication
    You will need to keep oil in the RV valve reservoir. It lubes the RV disk and the cross shaft.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

yea i got some instructions on how to do it. Does anyone make a block of plate to completely remove the pump? Or is there a need to keep it on?

Quote Originally Posted by Rmendler View Post
    yea i got some instructions on how to do it. Does anyone make a block of plate to completely remove the pump? Or is there a need to keep it on?
    My only experience with removeing the oil injection on a Rotax with a Rotary Valve Intake is my 670 Ski Doo and I replaced the entire Rotary valve cover with an after market cover with no pump cut out. Here's one for a 582 but expensive.
    http://www.lockwood.aero/c-183-valve...ump-drive.aspx the one on the bottom of the page.

The top diagram shows a small block off plate and gasket with part numbers but no link to the plate part number.

Be sure to plug all the holes from any fittings you remove. I would talk with someone running a 582 without the oil pump to be sure I had it set up correctly. There are a lot of people doing it and they swear it is much better.
    Last edited by t j; 04-20-2013 at 05:59 AM.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder