Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 582 Oil Injection ?

Default Re: 582 Oil Injection ?

Wow that is expensive. Good to know that block of case is available, thank you for the link.

I'm still weighing some options.

I'm also looking into the HACman kit for the Bing 54 Carbs. Does anyone have an experience with this? The airfield I am at is at 3,300msl and to climb over the first mountain ridge to get down the mountain I have to climb to about 6,000msl. I feel like having some more adjustability would really help that little 582

I installed the HacMan system last fall. I was having trouble keeping my EGT's in check. After putting in the system and increasing the main jet size, I'm finally able to dial in the EGT's to the magic 1100-1150 degrees pretty reliably at cruise power settings. I think it's pretty worthwhile on a 582.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

I think it may be the next mod, the EGT's hold right at 1,000 on the ramp, even during a runup. The CHT has a hard time getting in the green

You said the CHTs have a hard time getting into the green, do you mean the water temp? You can be really asking for a cold seizure if you go to full power with a still cold engine. Does the engine have a thermostat? Take care, Jim Chuk

No, I do not run the engine up until atleast 120 degrees and no flight until 140 degrees on the water temp gauge. The coolant system does have a thermostat.

The CHT rides the yellow/green line when on the ground and the EGT's were staying in the high 900's. At 300ft MSL the EGT's hold around 1,050 degrees. Bringing the aircraft to 3,300msl really seems to have changed the EGT's. I was hoping the carbs would compensate without rejetting.

I don't think most people have a CHT gauge on a watercooled engine. I know I never did. Water temps will tell you enough about that I think. As far as EGTs, if depends on what RPM you are talking about. If your EGTs are 1200 at 5500 RPM or at full throttel the cure is different in each case. Midrange mixture is controlled by the position of the circlip on the jet needle, full throttle mixture is controlled by the main jet. Read part #10 tuning the bing carberator in the back of the CPS catolog entitled Proper care and feeding of the Rotax motor. It will explain how the bing works and how to live with it. Take care, Jim Chuk

I was actually reading that info earlier. Good stuff and thanks for the info.

The CHT gauges run off terminals mounted to the base of the spark plugs. So basically you just stick them on the spark plugs and screw them in.

It's pretty unusual on a 582 to run CHT probes like those. Usually you have one water temp gauge and the two EGT'S. I'd recommend adding a real water temp gauge if you can.

What type of panel instrument are you using? I started with a Westach quad analog gauge but found it to be pretty innacurate. I switched to a MGL E1 which I've been happy with.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

I'm unsure of the brand, it is a quad gauge with EGTx2 and CHTx2. I have a seperate Water Temp gauge with its own sending unit, also unsure of the brand.