Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Polarized lens for Go-Pro

Default Polarized lens for Go-Pro

I did manage to get my hands on a N-Flight 2 cam... I did not be able to try it in a plane... but Under water it work's very well..... I took the N-Flight over the Go-Pro because of the polarized lens.... so that when you record through the prop, it dosent make any blear.... but for those of you how has a Go-pro.... here is the answer.....

http://store.nflightcam.com/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Eric Therrien
    Nicolet, Qc. Ca.
    In preparation.

Default Re: Polarized lens for Go-Pro

Thanks for the info. Eric.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Just as a heads up this probably isn't polarized. The GoPro has a light sensor that automatically adjusts shutter speed. If it is really fast it captures the wonky propeller. If you put a tinted filter on it, it senses that it needs to increase the light and to do that decreases the shutter speed to allow more light in as it doesnt have an aperture. Because the shutter is open longer it captures more prop movement in that frame and essentially blurs it.

Looks like a handy little filter though. I might pick one up myself.

I've seen these too. Has any independant test been done. I would sure like to try it but is a pricey filter.
    I see on the site they also offer a differant mount because the ones that come with the camera are prone to braking.(supposedly) I do not want to lose my camera but not sure how many have broken. Are they just trying to sell an expensive mount? How about a safety wire? Is everyone just trusting the mount? I have been but now after seeing this it has me wondering.

I have my GoPro safety wired to the plane. Don't want to lose the camera or have it go through any vital aircraft parts if it did decide to depart the plane.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Word of caution. I know a guy who put an 8inch hole in the side of his decathalon because he was more worried about losing his $300 camera. This was in the early days of mounting these cams and he didn't properly clean the surface where he adhered the mount. Once he started pulling Gs it let go(the adhesive pad, not the mount breaking). He had it tethered to a strap about 12" long and it did a seat belt effect when the wind started spinning it. So if you safety wire, just think of exactly what will happen if it fails so you can plan ahead. Don't want to see anyone grounded for repairs. Also, mechanical mounts are way better for planes than sticky mounts.
    Last edited by Esser; 04-14-2013 at 10:43 AM.

Good advice Esser. I purchased the GoPro mount kit from John and Deb. Yes they have a kit now. My safety wire tether is about 2" long and can not reach anything vital except maybe the mount itself and that is chromoly tubing. Very stout. Oh, I also drilled and bolted the GoPro mount plate to the mounting bracket that was included in the kit. I didn't trust the sticky mounts.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

With the N-Flightcam they have aluminium surface mount that you screw on... much stronger!! and you can put those all around the plane to change the point of view.....

Maybe it can works for the Gopro.... the mounting accessory are the same...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Eric Therrien
    Nicolet, Qc. Ca.
    In preparation.