Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: fabric repair question

Default fabric repair question

Hi all, Last Sunday I was shooting landings with a friend up here in northern Mn so he could learn the "art" of the taildragger. We were on a frozen lake with about 2" of wet melting snow, and that turned more to slush as we did our takeoffs and landings. I think the slush was getting blasted back against the tail, and was able to get under the finishing tapes. I've covered two airplanes with poly fibre, but I believe this is buterite as many Avids had. What's the best/easyest way to stick the tapes back in place. I did use some poly tac to glue a small bit of tape in another spot, and it seems to be comming loose again. Funny thing, the plane flew better on the way home then it ever did. Not sure if it was a kind of gap seal from the hor. stabilizer tape, or a trim tab on the elevator or both. Thanks, Jim Chuk
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: fabric repair question

Jim,

How old do you think the covering job is?

Dave s

Airplane was built in 1993. I'm sure it's the original covering. Thanks, Jim Chuk

Hi Jim,

If I understand correctly, the fabric covering on the elevator is OK; and, the stuff which came loose was taped over the surface of the finished fabric.

Wondering if there is any possibility of removing the offending piece of tape entirely in stead of tacking it back down? A lot of fabric coverings will last beyond 20 years; but, the fabric's age is something to consider in removing the tape in case that might start a tear in the fabric which would then mean recovering and painting the elevator. If the exterior tape comes off easy - might work to just remove it - or possibly trimming the loose part off very carefully with a blade - just a thought.

I think gluing it back down could be a bit of an experiment trying to find out what kind of adhesive would do it and hold. Poly tac might not hold too well unless the glued area is right over a hard surface like the tube frame - it can be a bit brittle if there is substantial flexing involved over an open span of fabric. Then there is the solvents in the glue to be concerned with in case they are not compatible with the fabric and its coatings/paint.

Dave S

I'm not familiar with the Buterite process, but if its anything like Polyfiber I would just go by the book. Polyfiber has a very detailed process for repairing, patching, etc. It involves using the proper solvent, like MEK, to remove the layers of paint down to the bare fabric, and then apply the new patch or finish tape and build the layers back up again. Its not quick and easy, but they claim the life will be as good as the original.

Jim