Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 912 using oil

Default 912 using oil

I need your combined experience to help solve a problem I have with my 912A.
    The engine runs very nicely. Smooth, good power, reliable as can be. However, I'm using oil at about 4 ounces every 3-4 hours. The engine has great compression, and the differencial pressure readings are 79-80, 80-80, 80-80, 80-80.
    The engine does not visibly smoke, but oil consumption is consistent.
    I'm currious as to what may be the problem? Where do I continue to look? I've checked the cylinder walls with a scope, they look fine.
    I'm wondering if a cracked oil control ring might be the source of the consumption.
    Thoughts?

Cheers,
    Ackselle
    Ackselle
    Kitfox IV 1200 Classic C-GIKV
    29" Airstreaks, 11" Matco Tailwheel
    ROTAX 912, Hoffman HO-V352F CS Prop

Default Re: 912 using oil

Ackselle,
    Look in these forums a few days ago as I posted the same exact problem. I am guessing it is my oil control rings also but others suggested it may be the valve seals/guides also. Mine uses the same amount of oil. I have put in 2-3 quarts in 40 hrs. NOT GOOD for the Rotax in my view.

K..... I've come to the conclusion my rings are all good (including the oil rings). I've ordered new valve stem seals and will install them later this week. I'll post the results after I replace the seals and test.

Stay tuned!
    Ackselle

Yes sir....please keep me posted.
    I bought my plane a little over a year ago and it had sat for 11+ years without being flown so I have lots of little things that need attention. I got it for a fair price but if I have to go into the engine that savings may be little to none.
    My other issue is that I am only in MN (where the plane is located) a few months out of the year and don't have a lot of time to work on things. I am headed back to MN in a week or so and hope I can find someone to 'give me a hand'. Living in the boonies though there are not any Rotax mechanics around.

So Keith.... Where is yourlane in Minnesota? I'm in Manitoba..... I'd fly down if you're not to far south.

Cheers,
    Ackselle
    Ackselle

Ackselle,
    I have a strip at my place so come visit! I am on the east side of Itasca State Park. Here are the cooridinates from www.googlemaps.com:
    47.201654, -95.123148‎
    +47° 12' 5.95", -95° 7' 23.33"

This goes for anyone else that may be traveling through the area also. Private strip...legal disclaimer: "land at your own risk". I think Mn passed a bill to alleviate anyone landing at a private strip but a Kitfox, RANS, Avid, Supercub, etc. shouldn't have no problem.
    Keith

PS Anyone wanting to stop in would be best off sending me a PM to make sure I am not gone flying.
    Last edited by WWhunter; 04-01-2013 at 06:54 PM.

Looks like a beautiful place.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

That's about 2 hours of Kitfox flying from my strip (49.609097,-96.8156). So.... add about 1/2 hour for the border crossing hassle.... 2 1/2 -3 hours each way. Sounds like an interesting Saturday in June!

Cheers,
    Ackselle
    Ackselle

Ackselle, the valve stem seals in your motor were changed right before you bought the plane. The old ones were almost nonexistent when I saw the motor. The heads were removed and the valves were lapped, along with some other work.
    Have you checked your log books? The entries should be the last ones before you bought the plane.

Log books document lapping the valves but not replacing the seals. It's a simple job, so I'll give it a try. Engine is using oil.... any ideas?
    Ackselle