Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Questions re: 4-1200 Dual Brake w/ Remote Reservoir

Default Questions re: 4-1200 Dual Brake w/ Remote Reservoir

I am upgrading a model 4-1200 brake system to include passenger side brakes and a parking valve. I am using (4) MC-4a cylinders with a remote reservoir. I've searched through back posts and member gallery pics but didn't find much info. I'd like to see pics of any similar setups showing remote reservoir location and line routing etc. Thanks.
    -Aeropro CZ Aerotrek A240 Tri-Gear SLSA 912uls
    -Airdale Avid+ on CZAW Amphibs 'FatAvid Floater' (building)
    -Kitfox 4-1200 TD 912ul (sold)
    -Kitfox Model III TD 582 (R.I.P.)
    -Avid Flyer Mk-IV TD (sold)

Default Re: Questions re: 4-1200 Dual Brake w/ Remote Reservoir

Was disappointed the topic failed generate any response so here's what I did:

I referred to the dual brake plumbing schematic on Matco's website and a pic I found in the TKF member gallery to get organized and plan line plumbing before hitting the hanger.

I used Parker Parflex Nylon Tubing (High Strength, Semi-Rigid, Inside Dia .180 In, Outside Dia 1/4 In, Wall Thickness .035 In, Temp Range -60 To 200 F, Max Pressure 425 PSI, Burst Pressure 1700 PSI, Vacuum Rating 28 Inches Hg, ~$0.50/ft @Grainger), which was a larger dia. and more rigid than the oem line removed.

I originally planned to use a single supply line from the remote reservoir to a splitter fitting on/near the floorboard to supply the top ports on the pilot side cylinders, but the lack of line flexibility and interference with the foot well edge caused me to locate the splitter up high and add a line standoff below.

It was a pain in the butt bleeding the system from the calipers up through the new parking brake and master cylinders, lotsa plumbing, ultimately had to jack up side-to-side to keep the bubbles moving.

Definitely happy with the addition of pass. side brakes, but disappointed that overall brake efficacy is still about the same it was before the equipment change. Read: nowhere near as good as my model 3 was. Go figure....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Aeropro CZ Aerotrek A240 Tri-Gear SLSA 912uls
    -Airdale Avid+ on CZAW Amphibs 'FatAvid Floater' (building)
    -Kitfox 4-1200 TD 912ul (sold)
    -Kitfox Model III TD 582 (R.I.P.)
    -Avid Flyer Mk-IV TD (sold)

Default Re: Questions re: 4-1200 Dual Brake w/ Remote Reservoir

Doug,
    Well done! I was also dissapointed in the lack of response, as I have thought about this also. I am holding off until right before the engine goes in, before doing the final elements of the brake system install.

I REALLY like what you have done! While I have the pilot's side reservoir units, (and the co-pilt has non-reservoir units) I am not impressed with that small amount of fluid in each one, and wondered about adding a real reservoir, where you can track any loss of fluid. More importantly, if one does lose some fluid, the reservoir is a better short term application than the small reservoirs which will run out quickly.

Again, thank you very much for not only the solution, but for sharing it. Great pictures and write up!

(See my thread on about how my KF IV-1200 was supposed to be plumbed without a reservoir).
    Grover Wright
    Flying a KF IV-1200
    ROTAX 912UL