Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 17mm Coolant Hose

Default Re: 17mm Coolant Hose

If your engine is over 10 years old link mine is it probably worth doing. I noticed right away that the rubber under the clamps was swashed down very, very thin even though it looked and felt fine otherwise. I'm thinking about those constant tension clamps but of course not at over $9 each from Lockwood. $9 * 16 = more money than I'm willing to pay, grumble - grumble.
    Building a KF IV Classic

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

I replaced all the coolant lines and fuel lines this last spring. I did struggle with the concept of changing hoses that looked in good condition, after changing them out I feel better. I did find the same squashed areas under the clamps . there were areas on the coolant lines where they were not as flexible as they should be, probably from heat off of the exhaust . Some of the fuel line when cut open had pitting, degradation on the inside walls, again on the outside it looked fine.

I tried to find 17mm hose locally, then went with rotax bulk, 10' did the trick with some to spare. I switched to the spring clamps in hopes to reduce the dribble of coolant I was getting with temperature changes from summer to winter.Time will tell on that.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

That Gates 19489 is a perfect fit. I cut about an 1 and 1/2 from the end closest to the sharper bend and enough of the other to match the length -> that matched the existing bend. Put the sharper bend next to the head and the gentile bend next to the tank. If anything, the Gates hose comes into the tank at an angle that gives more clearance to the CDI/Coil support. It cost less than $5 local pickup from Orielly.

Guy behind the counter was curious what it was for. Told him I'll tell him *after* I had the hose.
    Building a KF IV Classic

Quote Originally Posted by napierm View Post
    I bought some hose here:

http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/product/1...er_Hose_HTHO17

Picked up a couple other items as well. Shipping for my order was $21. Will see how long it takes to get here.

Just couldn't see $60 per meter for dang heater hose. Same for their $20 o-rings....
    Hello, how is this hose working out for you?
    I look at what i think is the same hose and it is only rated to 212 F?

/ J

I used 1/2 jiffy 300psi hose there is more writing on the hose. I used it on my old engine 912 ul and then I put it on my new engine in 2009. I used the hose ends that came with the engine, I bought the engine from kitfox. I had bends in the hose I didn't like so I took some clamps and installed them right at the bend, that made the bend with out the line kinking. I've had these lines on the engine since 2009 and several hundred hours. I think they work just fine. Oh the clamps are what I used to seal off the ends, regular hose clamps bought at CARQUEST. I bought the hose at House of Hose in Spokane.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

I have pictures of the hose I use in my Albums. It's in the Album labeled CDI.
    http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/album.php?albumid=441
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

One more thing I want to note: the hose is 13mm, that is a little small. I do believe I used a heat gun, I have a 1500watt gun. When I have a hose that is a little tight, I heat the end and it will go right over the fitting. take care
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Quote Originally Posted by JmS View Post
    Hello, how is this hose working out for you?

/ J
    The hose has worked fine. It is the same Gates part number that came with the engine. If you say the Gates heater hose is only rated to 212 F then OK, but I haven't noticed a problem.

FWIW,

Mark
    Building a KF IV Classic

According to Gates:

Factory molded to fit specific applications. Meets or exceeds OEM specifications.

• Engineered to resist electrochemical degradation (ECD®) – the leading cause of hose failure.
    • Eliminates water loss due to permeation.
    • Recommended for upper, lower, by-pass, heater and other coolant hose applications.
    • Heat and ozone resistant cover.
    • Installs easily without buckling, bending out of shape, or straining at connections.
    • Meets SAE 20R4 and 20R3 Type EC Class D-1 and D-2 specifications.
    • Temperature rating: -40°F to 275°F (-40°C to 135°C) in coolant hose applications

Thanx for your answers. Danzer1, what part number is for that hose?