Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Flight Training & Factory Visit Trip to Idaho

Default Flight Training & Factory Visit Trip to Idaho

Well, I just got back from a 4 day trip to Idaho to do my Kitfox Transition Training with Paul at Stick & Rudder Aviation, I already had my tailwheel endorsement, but hadn't landed one in 10 years. So, before doing a prebuy on a Series 6 and hopefully flying it home in a couple weeks, I thought it wise to get some training, and heard that Paul was the one to get it from. People thought I was crazy agreeing to buy a KitFox before flying one, but I hadn't spoken to a single person that didn't rave about the airplane. So, just in case anyone else is in the same boat, I wanted to share my experience on the forum.

First, I knew I'd love the Kitfox, but... I didn't know HOW much I'd LOVE the Kitfox. What an amazing airplane! I've been flying since 1986, even typed in a DC-3S in 1997, flew a L-749A "Connie" in 1998, have flown an L-39 Albatross jet, a couple CJ's, a B-17, and about 35 other types of airplanes. I don't think I've had as much fun in an airplane as I did this weekend (okay, the Super DC-3 was pretty close, but at 110 gph of AvGas in cruise it gets kicked to 2nd place!) This is truly flying, as in the reason most of us started flying in the first place. The airplane is so well harmonized with stick forces that are high enough as not to be "twitchy", but are certainly responsive enough to do whatever you want with an incredible rate of roll. To find something so stable and yet so responsive sort of breaks the rules in aviation that you have to give up one for the other!

Second, Stick & Rudder Aviation is second to none for quality flight training. I'm also a CFI/CFII/MEI and have met instructors from one end of the spectrum to the other. I flew the 1st day with Preston, and the next two days with Paul, both were excellent instructors, kept me challenged, made me safe and not only customized the training plan to my needs before I arrived, but adjusted the plan by the minute to fit my learning curve. Simply exceptional!

Third, we dropped in to meet John at the factory on Friday, and stopped by again on Sunday as we were in the area. Even ran into Phil "Papa" Laker on Sunday as he was up visiting John (I'd met Phil in Gilbert to get my first real look at a Kitfox a couple months ago). You can immediately tell that the Kitfox Community is a close knit family that'd do anything for each other. The workmanship that's going into the kit components and the fly away sLSAs is second to none. Everyone I met at the factory were very welcoming and obviously love what they do!

So, very happy about my decision to own a Kitfox, looking forward to closing on mine in a couple weeks assuming the pre-buy goes well, and if anyone has wondered if it's worth the special trip to fly at Stick and Rudder Aviation for your training.... yes it is!!!

Just had to share,
    Andrew

Default Re: Flight Training & Factory Visit Trip to Idaho

Andrew,
    I can second everything you said with enthusiasm, though your flying history part far exceeds mine. I did a long overdue BFR last year with Paul and it was everything I hoped it to be. The customized training part needs to be emphasized, I think. Paul asks the right questions to find out where you are and where you want to go, then proceeds on that track to help you get there. He gave me the confidence to do the first flight on my project airplane after five years of not flying due to a not so successful emergency landing. All went well.

The factory? Can't wait for the factory fly-in this year. Forever grateful for John keeping Kitfox alive and healthy. Thanks John, and Phil too.
    Lowell