Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: How to install removable wing tips

Default How to install removable wing tips

I just finished covering wings, I just had double knee replacement 3 weeks ago and for the last 2weeks I have been moving slow. I want to make my tips removable and read the kf info. Does anyone have photos or comments on the best way to install thanks ps it is not as bad as it looks, I was driving after 7 days and back flying my RV-6a 23 days after surgery
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: How to install removable wing tips

on my model IV i removed the droop tips and installed the short round caps that are removable.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

On my Model IV, I have set mine up just like Cap01 has his, with the exception that I am using the zillion small machine bolts per my build manual. I am keeping my droop wings. (BTW: Great pictures Cap!)

I will not be routinely removing them, but wanted to do so, should I wish to make changes or repairs to the strobes & Nav lights.

Grover

In my builder's manual it says to install the aluminum strips that the wing tips attach to after covering the wings. Has anyone permanently installed those strips before covering, and how did that work out for you?

Thanks!
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

John,

I did exactly as the manual said...."Do not rivet the aluminum strips to the ribs till after the wings have been covered. Rivet them after the fabric has been shrunk but before applying finishing tapes . This will conceal the rivet heads for a smooth professional finish"

I'd add, if done this way it (finishing tapes and final finish) also seals the rivets to prevent water from getting into the rivet bore holes and corroding the rivets or rotting the ribs.

Very happy with the final result. IMHO - the manual speaks from experience as to what works out best most of the time.

Sincerely,

Dave Syverson
    KF7 Trigear - Flying
    912ULS Warp Drive