Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Pedal Change

Default Pedal Change

Has anyone changed out a set of the fixed pedals for the adjustable version. I was told it was a bit of a challenge, but I was hoping to get a better idea of what I was getting into overall. It would be in a Series 7.

Thanks,

Steve

Default Re: Pedal Change

Retrofitting the rudders to adjustable is not an impossible task. Fabricating and collecting the parts might be the biggest problem. It would be easiest to order the parts from Kitfox. The adjusting levers are weldments with slots milled for the detent pins. The levers mount on tangs already installed on your model 7. If you decide to proceed the following items need modification or fabrication.
    Modify center console. Cut out adjusting lever clearance slots.
    Fabricate and install adjustment lever detent racks.
    Fabricate adjustment levers.
    Shorten rudder cable control horns on rudder torque tubes to accommodate new pulleys and springs.
    Fabricate longer rudder cables.
    Relocate any components such as fuel lines, electrical, or valves interfering with new rudder adjusters and cables.

I think a retrofit would be only slightly more difficult than installing them during initial construction.

John P

Thanks, I definitely planned on buying the parts from Kitfox instead making my own way. Does not sound too complicated, do you have an idea on the time it took to originally install the adjustable pedals? It will at least give me a base time frame to add to the removal time needs of the current set up.

The most difficult part would be making the detent racks for the levers. There are four required. They are made from raw aluminum angle stock.

Prefab parts are available from Kitfox. I did not use the prefab parts as I own a vertical mill. As such I was able to knock out those parts in minutes instead of hours with a hack saw and file. The rest of the parts are bolt, drill and pop rivet.

I don’t see where it would take more than a few hours once you have all the parts. Removing the rudder torque tubes to modify the control horns might take a while. You might be able to modify them without removal.

You can get new SS cable and swages for the rudder cables at ACS or boating supply stores like West Marine (cheaper). Otherwise the kit from Kitfox should have everything you need. The hardware kit is a lot of small pieces, nuts and bolts.

Would you even have to modify the rudder horns? Could you just leave them long? or would the interfere?