Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: AOPA Medical Records Review

Default AOPA Medical Records Review

Has anyone here used AOPA's Medical Record Review service? I have concerns about whether I would pass a 3rd class medical and wonder what kind of help they have actually been to people. Are they able to look at everything and say whether people in similar situations have passed or failed? I don't want to risk the medical if I'm not reasonably sure I will pass. And before I get anyone riled up about flying with some dangerous condition, let me say that he reason I have concerns is not my health but rather my colorful youth.
    I'm ready to solo as private but I'm thinking about switching to LSA. I would love to get my private pilot cert and ferry my family around on trips and so forth, fostering interest in aviation in them, but I'm also fine with going light sport and taking one at a time. I just don't want to try for PPL and fail, squashing both options.

Thumbs up Re: AOPA Medical Records Review

I have used there medical advisory service and would recommend them. You can call and talk with them at 866 213 8777, then decide if you wish to use the service.

Default Re: AOPA Medical Records Review

AOPA helped me back in the mid 90s when I lost my medical. I was able to get it back, but it took a couple of years and $$$. I would advise you to get a "pre-buy" type checkup with a local doc before going to a FAA medical examiner. If the problem was a legal problem regarding your youthful indiscretion, then by all means talk to the folks at AOPA. They've heard it all. EAA may have a help desk for that, but I haven't heard of it before.

You might want to coach your conversation in the terms, "A friend of mine did so and so back in 1972. Will that keep him from getting a medical?" And, I would do it over the phone, not in an email. (why am I saying stuff like that?)

I'm flying under the sport pilot privilege now....

Good Luck!
    Last edited by MotReklaw; 01-25-2013 at 01:22 PM. Reason: add info
    Tommy Walker in Alabama

Just don't forget to turn your phone's Caller ID off too!
    -Aeropro CZ Aerotrek A240 Tri-Gear SLSA 912uls
    -Airdale Avid+ on CZAW Amphibs 'FatAvid Floater' (building)
    -Kitfox 4-1200 TD 912ul (sold)
    -Kitfox Model III TD 582 (R.I.P.)
    -Avid Flyer Mk-IV TD (sold)

I think you'll find the FAA is more flexible than some make it out to be. But if you are in doubt, by all means use one of the advisory services. They are all very helpful.

I had bypass surgery in 2006. That was an automatic six months off from flying before I could even start the recertification process. Got my first class medical back and returned to flying across oceans as captain with 230 pax in the back. Flew another 18 months then retired in 2008. Still hold a 1st class medical.

I use Aviation Medical Advisory Service in Colorado. They package up all the stuff required and make sure it is in order before it goes to the FAA.

To qualify for any class medical I have to do a stress echo ECG every year and a radionuclide stress ECG every two years. I am now forever on a Special Issuance so LSA doesn't mean anything to me.

Here's a list from the FAA site of some of the disqualifying conditions. But also note that in many cases (like mine) you can get a special issuance.

• Angina pectoris
    • Bipolar disease
    • Cardiac valve replacement
    • Coronary heart disease that has been treated or, if untreated, that has been symptomatic or clinically significant
    • Diabetes mellitus requiring hypoglycemic medications
    • Disturbance of consciousness without satisfactory explanation of cause
    • Epilepsy
    • Heart replacement
    • Myocardial infarction
    • Permanent cardiac pacemaker
    • Personality disorder that is severe enough to have repeatedly manifested itself by overt acts
    • Psychosis
    • Substance abuse
    • Substance dependence
    • Transient loss of control of nervous system function(s) without satisfactory explanation of cause.

We had one captain that was flying with a pig valve in his heart. So many conditions are not an automatic show stopper. The rule of thumb is if you are not passing out, taking injections, having seizures, snorting coke or bombing pizza parlors, you can probably get a special issuance.

JP

Can't some of these conditions like "taking injections" be overcome through a SODA?
    Tommy Walker in Alabama

SODA, or "Statement of Demonstrated Ability" is generally reserved for physical impairments. An example is vision where you do not meet the first class requirement for uncorrected vision, but can read the charts just fine with corrective lenses. Another might be an amputee that can fly with a prosthetic limb. SODA's usually have no time limits.

A special issuance letter starts out with a statement that you do not qualify for a medical certificate. Special Issuance usually is for when you are disqualified due to a medical condition. An example is coronary artery disease requiring treatment such as a bypass. However, by running your butt off on the treadmill without having a episode of angina you prove to the FAA that you are healthy enough to fly without endangering anyone. So the feds make an exception and make you a "special case". Thus the special issuance. My special issuance is only good for a year at a time.

The hardest part is knowing what the FAA wants when you apply with a known medical condition. A good advisory service like AMAS, AOPA, or EAA can guide you through the maze. So if you have something that you are concerned about, call one of the services and get a consultation.

Also, If your local AME says you failed the physical you should immediately contact an advisory service. It doesn't mean your flying is over.

JP