Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Classic IV Speedster Rebuild

Default Classic IV Speedster Rebuild

Hello TeamKitfox,
    My name is Travis I'm 30 years old and like many of you have had an interest in aviation for as long as I can remember. My favorite toys as a kid were always the ones with wings and propellers, or even just something that I could pretend had wings. Growing up I learned about aviation from spending time at the local FBO with my dad who was a private pilot and owned several of his own aircraft throughout the years. After high school I attended college at K-State Salina School of Technology and Aviation where I studied to become a professional pilot. Somewhere along the way I fell short of my dream of becoming a paid professional pilot but never lost my passion for aviation.

As fate would have it, my father and I were recently lucky enough to stumble across an add on barnstormers under rotax for a salvaged Kitfox Classic IV Speedster that had suffered a rough landing and been a little bent up. The plane had been purchased from the original builder and was on its way to being parted out. The seller had included no pictures of the aircraft and was simply trying to sell the rotax 912 by itself. For whatever reason my father decided to give the guy a call to inquire a little more into the condition of the airframe. Once we recieved a few photos the seller had our full attention, and to make a long and somewhat adveturous story short, we were able to make a deal and I am now the very proud and opptomistic owner of my very own airplane. N130JL needs a little love, but I am confident that with some work, and some help from Teamkitfox that we will be able to return her to her previous glory.

My plan is to keep an ongoing record of our progress here and hopefully enlist the wisdom and experience of the TeamKitfox members so that I might have a better chance at being successful.

Below is a picture from before the incident that crippled her. I will post more photos and my plans to restore her later.

Thanks for reading
    Travis
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Classic IV Speedster Rebuild

In my opinion, you happened onto one of the best of the bunch. Good luck on the restoration and do keep us posted.

According to the previous owner, and pilot at the time of the crash, the engine died on takeoff a few hundred feet above the ground. The pilot had to make an emergency landing straight ahead in a marshy area full of small trees and scrub brush. Fortunately no one was seriouly injured.

Now I'm just waiting on the FAA before I can get started. Does anyone know how long I can expect to wait on a responce? I sent my paperwork for re-registration away about a week ago. The previous owner had the registration cancled. As a result big brother (the FAA) wants to do an inspection to verify that the aircraft is capable of being restored to airworthiness.

Are you going to take the opportunity to upgrade to the Grove style gear?

(I did when I bent my bungee truss.)
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I'm planning on using a bush style gear either from kitfox or highwing llc. I considered the grove gear, but I just love the styling of the bush gear. Since I can't have a super cub I might as well try to build something that resembles one Did you end up cutting and welding in new tubes when you bent your bungie truss?

Yes I (we) did. I had the help of a good friend who is a supremely qualified welding artist.

Link
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Good luck on your fix. It will be nice to see it flying again.

Quote.. Since I can't have a super cub. Your going to have a sweet plane man. I would take a classic speedster over a pa-18 super cub anyday. Performance is very simular you will just burn half the amount of fuel.

Travis I have rebuilt my IV because of the same type of mishap, so if I can be any assistance let me know. I am in the middle of a house build and it may take a while to get back with you but I will do what I can. Up until a year ago I lived in Emporia but moved South to Tulsa, but I have a lot of pics and can talk you through what I did. Call if you want Bryan 620-481-1976

Well its been a while since I have posted anything, so I guess I'll give everyone an update. Life has been crazy lately, we bought a house, got married, and had a baby all in about a year and a half. So I have had to put the Kitfox project on the back burner. On the plus side, I have had plenty of time to study the damage and after several different plans of attack on how to fix it I have finally committed to the one that I think is best.

Originally and after talking to an A&P the plan was to try and bend most of the damaged tubing back into place using pusher blocks and big C clamps. Well that was easier said than done, and the tubes I did push back into place just weren't turning out as straight as I would have liked. So I scrapped that and decided to stop ***** footing around and just figure out a way to cut out the damage and replace it with straight new tubing.

I took careful measurements and sketched out a plan of where everything should end back up, then started cutting.

You can see the temporary bracing I installed to keep everything where its supposed to be while I fabricate a new belly structure.

I also bought a Lathe/Mill to help with any machining. It works pretty well for coping the tubing so far.