Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Worth it to save a 532?

Default Worth it to save a 532?

I am coming into a Kitfox II my grandfather built in '88. It has a Rotax 532 with only 50 hours on it but it has been in storage for almost twenty years. Would it be worth it to try to get the engine running again or just get a new 582? I am not very mechanically inclined and will have to pay someone to do all the work. One mechanic told me he wasn't sure if he could even get parts for a 532 and I don't know if I need a new gearbox too.

What would be my best option for this plane?

Default Re: Worth it to save a 532?

Pertinent thread some time ago about a stored 532 that was suspected to be a 582.

http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/sho...582+inspection

You'd have to check further with others on here about the details and whether the engine mount is the same, but this may replace it well...

http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=4253
    Last edited by Geowitz; 01-08-2013 at 10:03 AM.

The only thing about that stored one is that it was only in storage for six years and it had silica packs in it and it was wrapped. Mine has been in the plane in a barn for three times that long.

That engine would be great but I don't know how hard it is to ship it to Canada or if you could just drop it in.

If it helps here is a picture of the engine. You can see that some of the hoses are broken.
    Last edited by Roddy; 01-08-2013 at 12:29 PM.

Motor mount is the same for the 532 or 582. Your 532's gearbox is almost for sure a 2.58 to 1 ratio, so if you go to a 582 with a C or E gearbox, you may need a different prop. If the new gearbox was 2.62 to 1 it may still work, but there are a lot of 3 to 1 gearboxes out there. I had 2 different 532s in different Avids. I didn't think they were that bad of engines. Twenty years is a long time to sit though. I have a snowmobile raceing and salvage shop 10 miles from me and they have inspected/ rebuilt at least 8 different engines I've flown behind, and they are very reasonable. If I had that engine, I would take it to them. They would replace the seals, check the crank, clean up the pistons for about $250. That's with a $50 aftermarket gasket kit. Take care, Jim Chuk

Just re-engined my KF2 from a 532 Greyhead to a 582 Bluehead from Red Gold in FL. Depending on when your engine was mounted, bear in mind that there are two different mounting styles for the diff engines. in 91-92 about, Rotax went to the side mount bracket style similar to sleds. My 532 was a bottom plate mount. Needless to say, holes did not line up, and it was a can of worms involving basically firewall forward. I would estimate I have about 5K into firewall fwd, including new spider cage and mounting system.

Thrilled with my investment in it, but if you are looking to do it economically, well, ....sometimes thats just not a word associated with aviation.

Best of luck in your project. You won't regret a moment of the journey. And all the guys on here were invaluable sources of information for me. Utilize them if you are going to endeavor this.

Greasy side down...

Thanks for the advice guys. It turns out the plane is actually a model 1. I have decided to go with the 582 even though my mechanic says the 532 was in good shape and salvagable. I like the idea of increased reliability and fuel economy. I hope mounting it isn't too difficult.