Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanted: Avid or Kitfox in flying condition

Default Wanted: Avid or Kitfox in flying condition

I'm open to what-have-you, including trailer, floats, etc. Have Outfitter popup camper for possible trade.

Default Re: Wanted: Avid or Kitfox in flying condition

Saw a Kitfox II forsale on Barnstormers for around 7,000+/-
    Pete
    Leander, TX
    Model III SN 1000
    Grove

That's the first time I've ever seen metalized wings on an avid. Anyone else ever seen that?

Pretty unheard of. There's many reasons not to do this:

1. Weight
    2. Riveting skins to wood ribs is not a good idea
    3. With the amount these wings flex (by design) there will be a great deal of stress on the joints most likely causing cracking.
    4. Weight
    5. On an Avid the ribs stick through the [skin] to hang the flapperons, just like the Kitfox 1-3 does. How would this be done on metalized wings without causing chaffing damage to the rib tails?
    6. Weight
    7. ... more??
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

It all depends on what is meant by metalized wings. On many of the Avid Mk IVs, they put a piece of aluminum about 18" wide on the top of the wing from the front spar back. It keeps the fabric from sinking in between the false ribs and stiffens the wing a bit also I think. Both of my MK IVs had this feature. Here is a picture of when I recovered my plane, and dyou can see the aluminum under the fabric. Take care, Jim Chuk
    Attached Images Attached Images

I know I'm getting a bit off topic, but usually "metalized" refers to covering the entire surface of the wing in aluminum sheet such as is seen in a C150 or the such. But my original thought was along with av8r where it just isn't really feasible or desirable with a wood structure underneath. I'd bet the leading edge aluminum is what he is referring to, in which case it makes perfect sense. Thanks guys

UPDATE

I'm still looking. I want a Kitfox 5 (or 4 if the price is right) in perfect flying shape with 912, and a trailer--not necessarily together. Prefer wide gear and Riblett wing, but not the speed wing.

Quote Originally Posted by Twister View Post
    UPDATE

I'm still looking. I want a Kitfox 5 (or 4 if the price is right) in perfect flying shape with 912, and a trailer--not necessarily together. Prefer wide gear and Riblett wing, but not the speed wing.
    UPDATE

I'm still learning. If I understand the Kitfox folks correctly, ALL kitfox wings are based on the Riblett airfoil, and none have leading-edge slats.

It's unlikely that I'll be able to afford a 5, so may have to settle for a 4, but if it's a simple enough panel and the airframe and engine have enough hours on them to drop the price (I expect to pay a fair price; I just don't want to pay for things I don't need) far enough, I might be a buyer, since at my age it's unlikely that I could fly enough to wear out a newer one anyway. I don't care about bells and whistles and aesthetics; this is to be a working LSA airplane. I am interested in the possibility of floats and a trailer.

I'm going to AZ next week to look at some Kitfox aircraft.

I've been pretty much talked out of considering an Avid.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
    I know I'm getting a bit off topic, but usually "metalized" refers to covering the entire surface of the wing in aluminum sheet such as is seen in a C150 or the such. But my original thought was along with av8r where it just isn't really feasible or desirable with a wood structure underneath. I'd bet the leading edge aluminum is what he is referring to, in which case it makes perfect sense. Thanks guys
    I'm confused. I thought I was posting to classifieds, but it looks like I ended up on a technical discussion. Can somebody tell me what I did wrong?

Take no offense, Twister. Almost everything here eventually turns into a "technical" discussion. That's just the kind of crew that hangs around here.

Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos