Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taildragger or Nosedragger?

Default Taildragger or Nosedragger?

I'm just wondering:

Are most folks preferring nose draggers? Or taildraggers.

Me? I've done both for decades, and I find as I consider a Kitfox, I'm wondering which...

Jen

Default Re: Taildragger or Nosedragger?

I fly skis, so it's tail dragger for me.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Flown helicopters and nose wheel jobs all my life... time to drag a tail...

Jen,
    The nice thing about the later model Kitfoxes is they are convertibles. Many folks will get their ticket in a tri-gear so setting up your Fox that way makes the transition somewhat easier. When you are ready, go get your tail-dragger endorsement from Paul at www.stick-rudder.com (they use Kitfoxes), then drop your bird into conventional and away you go. Of course, if you don't have your ticket yet, you could train conventional from the on-set.
    Best Wishes and Merry Christmas!
    Dan
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

I fly a nose dragger, for me it is more relaxing. Some day I would like to fly skis, it is nice having a convertible
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

The thrill of learning to land a taildragger is one of the most exciting challenges that I've done! FUN!

Scott

I'm just wondering:

Are most folks preferring nose draggers? Or taildraggers.

Me? I've done both for decades, and I find as I consider a Kitfox, I'm wondering which...
    Jen- as Dan B said, the series 7 Super Sport comes standard with the ability to quickly change from one gear configuration to the other. What ever your mission or preference, you can have it your way with the Kitfox. The Kitfox is the most accommodating kit built aircraft available. They think of everything so you don't have to.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

One of the benefits of the Kitfox is the ability to go both ways. When I bought mine it was a taildragger. I converted it to nose wheel and fly it that way now (much easier to see when on the ground). I do a lot of off airport landing and so far I've been able to land off airport anywhere I've wanted to, right along side of taildraggers. There are a few places I wouldn't land in the nose wheel configuration, but not many. Just hold the nose off the ground 'till your stable and slow. I always land this way, whether I'm landing on or off pavement. Great planes, great performance.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Jen
    I bought my first Kitfox before I completed my private ticket in a Piper cherokee,then went to another instructor and got my Taildragger endorsment. I would have to say it took about six hours to consistantly take off and land the taildragger. I needed 15 hours with a instructor for my insurance to be binded. As far as the Kitfox your options are much greater, such as resale ,nose or tailwheel ,folding wings, wing struts are behind you so you do not have to look through them as with competitors. When it comes down to it I feel safer flying my Kitfox than a full size four seat craft. I do practice off field landings in hayfields and soybean fields after they have been harvested in fields that I am familiar with, heaven forbid I ever have to for real. Good luck with your ventures!

Everyone has their own reasons for preferring one or the other. In this part of Texas many of the smaller airports are grass. Flying farmers will put on a bar-BQ using the lamest excuse. Fly-in’s are plentiful on grass strips. Tail draggers seem to do well on grass and generally have less damage to the prop from sand or small stones. As a result, we see lots of tail wheels. When I flew in Southern California a tail dragger was an oddity. Most of the world is paved in that part of the country.

My Kitfox has a tailwheel and a two blade prop so it fits nicely in a garage and doesn’t hit the ceiling. For some that's not important. I happen to think flying a tail dragger is fun so that was also a motivating factor.

John P