Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Not for everybody...

Default Not for everybody...

....but I think the Kitfox "fly guys" (you) will get it.

When I woke up this morning, the tempurature was a chipper -26C (-15F). The sky was absolutely clear. The wind was 320 @ 3knots...... in other words.... PERFECT!!!

So, I spent the next 1 1/2 hours using my vastly honed duct tape skills (I've done this before!!!).
    1) sealing the firewall with duct tape
    2) closing the cabin vents with duct tape
    3) removing the passenger door gaps with .... you guessed it.... duct tape.
    4) added manual (duct tape) shutters to the oil cooler AND the radiator

Started up the trusty 912, let it warm up (took about 10 minutes), did the normal run up and off I went...... it seemed to take only 100 feet before I was flying..... my climb rate was a consistent 1400 fpm. There were no bumps, the air was perfectly smooth! Cold winter air is what the Kirfox was designed for..... right???

The cabin heat was working very fine with all the duct tape work. It was simply beautiful! The prairies are covered with a fresh drop of white snow.... even the roads were not dirtied by traffic.

After my flight I proclaimed my flight satisfaction to my wife.... she just smiled supportively, but she really didn't get it. So... that's why I'm telling the group. I'm thinking only other Kitfox fly guys will understand how a flight on a cold winter day could be enjoyable!

Cheers,
    Ackselle
    Ackselle
    Kitfox IV 1200 Classic C-GIKV
    29" Airstreaks, 11" Matco Tailwheel
    ROTAX 912, Hoffman HO-V352F CS Prop

Default Re: Not for everybody...

Oh, yea! Understood.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Axel,

Thanks for sharing your story.......Totally understand. Most of my early years were spent in the Northern Minnesota Red River Valley....we could watch the dog run away for 5 days.....

Anyway, I was out today with our Kitfox East of St Paul, MN; and, did some "craftsman-like-duct-tape work" also; although the OAT in St Paul was about 25 degrees F warmer than where you were flying out of. Totally comfy out flying. It is amazing how warm the cabin will stay once the pneumonia holes are closed up.

The performance we see in the cold weather you speak of is fantastic......and the really smooth air. Visibility was great too. Spent some time practicing short and varied landings.........On climbout every time the plane arrived at pattern altitude (1000") before I was done with crosswind (and that was with a tight pattern that Kitfoxes are good at).

Makes a person happy they decided to get a Kitfox

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF7 Trigear
    912ULS Warp Drive

Great post!!! YES, we FULLY understand it!!! LMAO!!!

BTW: Great courage!!

Absolutely, love flights like that. I also occasionally get that "glad you had fun dear" smile when I get home.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Wow, it's like we're married to sisters! I get that same smile and head nod from the wife as well! Perhaps when she gets bit, she'll understand! Great story....happy days ahead!
    Chris Holaday
    Looking at the Model 5 or newer for size!

I'm there with you. In a nod to fashion, I found some yellow gaffer's tape that almost sorta matches my paint. I'm waiting til it gets really cold in the midwest to find those last few leaks.

My wife just gives me the send off each time, "Don't kill yourself!" I guess that's all the support I really need.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

I don't have a cabin heater in mine yet, but found something that works quite well. I use my "Gerbings" heated jacket and gloves that I sometimes wear on my motorcycle in cold weather. That and a pair of "Long Johns" and I am sitting in a nice bubble of warmth flying around the snowscape.
    Chuck

Years ago, I bought an electricly heated seat pad that plugged into a cigaret lighter socket. I used it in the plane in the winter. I would slide it into the back of my snowmobile suit and let the cord come out of the bottom of the front zipper. Kept all the heat in where I wanted it, and had to run it on the low setting at + 10 - 20 F or it would start to cook me. I have cabin heat in the plane now so I don't use it but it sure did the trick. I got it from J C Whitney and the cost was $20. I've flown every day in the last four up here in northern MN, temps have been about +15 to 20 F and the heat is okey in the plane. Need to close off the area behind the seat though. Take care, Jim Chuk