Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Rotax 912 burping procedure

Default Rotax 912 burping procedure

Hi all,

Maybe everyone else already knows this, but it apparently took a while for me to figure it out.

It's seems to be true that burping the engine oil system when it is cold (like zero F or thereabouts) takes a lot of revolutions to push all the relatively thick oil back into the oil tank.

If I check the oil level right after shutdown...it is definitely down the dipstick so some of the oil is not in the oil tank at that point.

But...it takes very few revolutions of the prop to burp it when it is warm after shutdown.

I found that by burping the engine not too long after shutdown, the oil appears to stay mostly in the oil tank afterwards; and, it only takes one or two revolutions to be sure the burp is complete after the engine is stone cold a day or more later. The oil level appears to stay up in the oil tank after a warm burp.

Wondering if this is similar to the experience of others; or, if this works only in certain installations?

Thanks,

Dave S
    KF7 Trigear Flying
    912ULS, Warp Drive

Default Re: Rotax 912 burping procedure

I found this the case as well, but it was with the high mounted tank on the Model IV. I supposed that lots of turns meant good ring seal and low blow-by. I am curious now because of the low mounted tank on the 7. My new IV has the tank mounted low and assumed that any oil movement over time would fill the tank rather than siphoning from the tank. I do notice that when cranking, it takes a few seconds longer to see the oil pressure gauge needle move with the low mounted tank.
    Lowell
    Last edited by HighWing; 12-24-2012 at 07:58 AM.

If you are using the latest and greatest Rotax oil filter with the anti-flowback check valve, the post flight burp *should* keep the oil in the tank on a high mounted oil tank.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

The new style oil filter from Rotax helps keep the oil in the high mounted tank longer, but it will still drain down over longer periods of no use.