Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hole repair..... :-/

Default Hole repair..... :-/

Well, the girl is home and in the heated garage, being as it is a balmy 12 out tonight here in the sub tundra. Have the "patch kit" from Consolidated Aircraft, and am ready to rock and roll.... Question for all you knowledgable ones from a production/heavy iron kinda guy.....

Do I trim the holes to "clean them up" or just install the patch right over top? And also, where in the hell can you buy REAL MEK these days, not this "substitute" crap they pawn off on you? What a load of bull****. Friggin Bunny-Huggers take all the fun out of everything... :-)

One more question..... Is it acceptable for me to kiss her good night once I tuck her into her warm bed for the night? Ah, screw it, I do anyways. :-)

Does anyone know or have, silhouette drawings of a KF, suitable for paint scheme sketching? I really don't want to make my own by tracing... LOL

As always.....God Bless you all and keep the greasy side down....

Denny
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Hole repair..... :-/

I got some real (stinky) MEK at Ace Hardware. MN laws may be different from WI, though...

It's not a III, but close enough to do some sketching.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

AV,

I may have to dart across the river to Osceola then. Our Ace here only had the BS "substitute" MEK. Side note, it works like crap. LOL

Does clean my tools pretty well though, so not wasted money. But not helping me along the PolyTone removal path either.

Thanks for the sketches.... Have all cabin fever winter to design something totally ridiculous for a paint scheme....

Denny,

The Hugo Feed Mill at Hugo MN (not too far from your place) used to have 1 gallon cans of MEK in their attached hardware store due to the number of motorheads/carnuts/backyard car painters who needed it in the neighborhood.

http://hugofeedmill.com/

Since I am past the big consumption phase of stuff like this when I was building....the last MEK I bought was at Menard's in a Quart can (they don't have gallons and I didn't need that much anyway).

I am guessing ACE also would have it in MN as they do in WI......used to have an ACE (now closed) by KSGS that kept everyone at the 'port supplied with MEK and wire gauge drills and a lot of other stuff good for airplanes.

Figure all of these guys have the good stuff...stinks bad ...makes lutefisk out of one's lungs if you are not careful and burns real good.......

BTW - on the trimming....If a person can make it all stick between the old ripped fabric and the new patch.......not a problem just sticking it down rather than trimming. You don't want a loose piece of the old stuff flopping around to start a future delamination so if it is in a place where you can't make it stick to the new patch...probably better to trim off anything that may flop around. Thinking you might be able to brush it down by going in the end of the wing - looking at the location of the rip. If you can stick the old to the new it is probably a sturdier repair...at least that is what I have seen with A & P's who know how to do fabric airplanes (certified ones).

Dave S
    KF7 Trigear - Flying
    912ULS Warp Drive
    St Paul, MN

Denny, I trust you have the manual for the covering system used on your kitfox? If its poly fiber the manual has some specific things about that hole on the top of the wing.

With poly fiber and polytone the manual says to trim the ragged parts out of the hole.

Here's a 3 view templet PDF of a Model 3.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

I didn't think MEK touched polytone, I thought that you had to sand it off?
    Dave Holl
    Building Kitfox MK7
    Rotax 912ULS

Dave,

MEK won't touch Aerothane. It's the magic bullet for PolyTone. Coincidentally if I can't find REAL MEK I will be sanding it regardless.

Wonder if Acetone would work also.....not willing to risk incidental damage to the fabric to find out though.... I can find Acetone by the 55 gallon drum.

Will keep you guys apprised...going to be an all winter project. Sadly, the truck got evicted into the cold for the year now. LOL

Just for those that missed it, the painting templates are on the Kitfox LLC site buried in Technical FAQ's

There are three views for the IV, 5,6 and 7 with and without nose gear and smooth or bump cowl.

http://www.kitfoxaircraft.com/Paint%20Templates.htm

JP

I wonder if anyone has a .gif, .jpg or other picture file of this view that can be resized?

Quote Originally Posted by jtpitkin06 View Post
    Just for those that missed it, the painting templates are on the Kitfox LLC site buried in Technical FAQ's

There are three views for the IV, 5,6 and 7 with and without nose gear and smooth or bump cowl.

http://www.kitfoxaircraft.com/Paint%20Templates.htm

JP
    Tommy Walker in Alabama

Silly me I should have checked with my polyfibre manual before posting!
    Dave Holl
    Building Kitfox MK7
    Rotax 912ULS