Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hole repair..... :-/

Default Re: Hole repair..... :-/

Actually, not really true. MEK on the polybrush side of the fabric (i.e. the
    inside) will instantly lift the aerothane. It will blister right off ... Don't ask
    how I know this, just be carefull if you do ANYTHING with MEK around a
    plane with Aerothane, OR Polytone.

Regard's,
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by FitchUpNorth View Post
    Dave,

MEK won't touch Aerothane. It's the magic bullet for PolyTone. Coincidentally if I can't find REAL MEK I will be sanding it regardless.

Wonder if Acetone would work also.....not willing to risk incidental damage to the fabric to find out though.... I can find Acetone by the 55 gallon drum.

Will keep you guys apprised...going to be an all winter project. Sadly, the truck got evicted into the cold for the year now. LOL

Both comments are correct...according to the Polyfiber manual.....if you want to remove Aerothane....scrub some MEK on the backside or the polybrush/polyspray side...it bubbles up just as Jeff said; however, this happens because the MEK dissolves the un-polymerized undercoats (polybrush and polyspray) which are entirely soluble in MEK...

MEK does not dissolve Aerothane at all...just the undercoats if you hit it from the backside - which can be useful if you want and need to do that.

A solid coat of Aerothane will remain unaffected by MEK if the MEK is applied to the outside.......also a useful deal....I have on occasion used a MEK soaked rag to get some really stubborn crud off the outside of the plane, which is painted in Aerothane. The caveat is the Aerothane coat has to be solid/no cracks or breaks in the aerothane coat. If there is a crack or void in the Aerothane.....it is bubble city.

Polytone is very serviceable in that it can be sequentially un-painted...the top colorcoat of polytone can be ragged off with a MEK soaked rag leaving most of the Polyspray....the polyspray can then be ragged off with a MEK soaked rag leaving most of the Polybrush...the polybrush can then be ragged off with a MEK soaked rag down to the fabric and a person can then repair and rebuild his paint job after everything dries off. The down side is a Polytone finished airplane does not have the stain and solvent resistance that Aerothane does.

Turns out that Polytone and Aerothane are just plain different critters, each with it's own good and bad points...

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF7 Trigear _ Flying
    912ULS Warp Drive
    St Paul, MN

Well, finally found real MEK. Who would have thought I could be so grateful to Wisconsinites? Had to cross state lines to get it. Dave, Hugo feed mill no longer carries it. Owner told me due to environmental lobbying and pressure.

Regardless ... Starting to fix the bird today. What? There is some sort of occasion or something in the next 2 days besides fixing the Kit?

:-)

Greasy side down.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    Both comments are correct...according to the Polyfiber manual.....if you want to remove Aerothane....scrub some MEK on the backside or the polybrush/polyspray side...it bubbles up just as Jeff said; however, this happens because the MEK dissolves the un-polymerized undercoats (polybrush and polyspray) which are entirely soluble in MEK...

MEK does not dissolve Aerothane at all...just the undercoats if you hit it from the backside - which can be useful if you want and need to do that.

A solid coat of Aerothane will remain unaffected by MEK if the MEK is applied to the outside.......also a useful deal....I have on occasion used a MEK soaked rag to get some really stubborn crud off the outside of the plane, which is painted in Aerothane. The caveat is the Aerothane coat has to be solid/no cracks or breaks in the aerothane coat. If there is a crack or void in the Aerothane.....it is bubble city.

Polytone is very serviceable in that it can be sequentially un-painted...the top colorcoat of polytone can be ragged off with a MEK soaked rag leaving most of the Polyspray....the polyspray can then be ragged off with a MEK soaked rag leaving most of the Polybrush...the polybrush can then be ragged off with a MEK soaked rag down to the fabric and a person can then repair and rebuild his paint job after everything dries off. The down side is a Polytone finished airplane does not have the stain and solvent resistance that Aerothane does.

Turns out that Polytone and Aerothane are just plain different critters, each with it's own good and bad points...

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF7 Trigear _ Flying
    912ULS Warp Drive
    St Paul, MN

One more addition to Dave's comment. I once repaired a small puncture from the back side using a piece of fabric and Polytac. Not a good idea as Polytac is loaded with MEK. Now if repairing small holes, I use Hysol to secure the fabric patch on the back and use two vinyl coated aluminium sheets secured with magnets to hold it flat until cured.
    Lowell

I used acetone to do all my polyfiber work. It does not evaporate as quick as the MEK and it will cut the polytone down to bare fabric in seconds.