Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: oops! on the wing tip

Default oops! on the wing tip

I went and read the instructions like 3-4 times on this matter and seen were it says do not attach removable wing tip until fabric covering is complete. But overlooked the part about the 3/4 inch metal strip!! I riveted it on the end cap. I'm thinking that I will need to remove the metal strip to glue the fabric on the cap and over it. Am I thinking correctly on this? So i'm guessing the rivets will go through the fabric on top of the last cap when finished?
    Last edited by phintz; 12-18-2012 at 11:29 AM.

Default Re: oops! on the wing tip

Here's how I did mine (if the image upload works ... )

Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images

Remove the metal strip from the wing tip. The wing gets covered first, the metal strip gets riveted to the outboard rib, the wing tip gets screwed (if removeable) to the metal strip, if not removeable wing tip gets riveted to the metal strip. No covering over the wing tip.

Dick B

Just to add another idea. This is what I did - Cover the wing and wrap the fabric around the rib cap strip to the underside, then countersink and use 1/8 inch flush pull rivets to hold the strips. This will sandwich the covering under the outboard edge of the last rib cap strip. Then cover the last rib with your 2 inch finish tape which will cover the rivets.

Another option, if you have the aluminum strips attached with construction adhesive and don't want to try to remove them. You can form the fabric with the tip of your iron down onto and around to the underside of the attach strip. Thats what the old Skystar tech suggested and I did.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

I did mine the same way as Geowitz. turned out great.

Thanks for the info guys!!!! I think I will remove the metal strip like the directions say. This forum is truly priceless!!! Thanks again