Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: New Kit Builder

Default New Kit Builder

I have just received my new Kit and it is now sitting in my garage. It was delivered last Tue. in a rain storm and I have the wings sitting on the floor in a dry area to let them dry out. I need to move them to have space to start work. Any suggestions as to how I should store them safely?

Thanks Claud3

Default Re: New Kit Builder

During my construction I built a couple of cradles and stored the wings one above the other on the garage wall. Of course you have to have an open wall to do that. Another option is to suspend them against the ceiling.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Congradulations on the Kit. I know how excited I was that day. Two months later my Wings are ready for cover & my Flaperons are ready for paint. There are lots of pictures of wing stands in the photo albums. Good luck.

Scott

I f you have floor space you can do what I've done

I've used these stands for installation of wing components, facilitating fabric covering, painting, and storage. I've made the end pieces with feet so, when I have to set the wings down on a floor or a truck bed, only the feet touch the ground. A number of builders have copied my design and, no doubt, improved upon it. I encourage them to speak up.

Good luck with your kit. It's a great adventure

Claud,
    I was building two Kitfoxes at once a while ago and for convenience I made a floor fixture with casters. It was essentilly two upside-down Ts connected by two eight ft. 2X4s The wings were placed on the Ts horizontal arms resting on the leading edges with some foam protection. A couple of bungees between the two aft spars to keep them against the vertical parts of the Ts. With the casters, I could store them snugged up to the project when not working, then move them out of the way when necessary.

When actually working on the wings, I used a rotissary simmilar to the previous post.
    Lowell
    Last edited by HighWing; 12-10-2012 at 08:47 PM.

I hung mine on the wall with padded brackets against the spar.

My padded windsurf board racks were great holders for my wings on my wall. Then when I started working on them (at about 5 months) I built supports that held them "on edge" with PVC inserts into the spars.

we stored ours for a year like in this picture at the link below:
    Tommy Walker in Alabama

Take a look at the bottom of the page on this link http://www.azshowersolutions.com/arrival.html

Just saw horses with long legs. 3' lengths of closet dowel would work well just stuck in the spars.

I stored my wings like this for 6 years.
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ