Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Wing covering question

Default Wing covering question

Should a finishing/reinforcing tape go down the length of the rear spar on the top of the wing, but not the bottom? I have seen it in pictures I took of a factory built SS7 at EAA and aOPA. the sparr is about 3/8" away from the fabric so why is the reinforcement needed? Thanks. Jch

Default Re: Wing covering question

I did on mine mostly because the manual diagram called for it. I suppose it is just in case drumming on the fabric brings it on contact the the spar. I just checked to make sure and had to feel for it as I couldn't see it.
    Lowell

Hi Jeff,

I concur with Lowell.....Any place where the fabric did not touch, but had some space between the inside fabric surface and any hard point......If I could push the fabric in to touch the hard point....it got a tape over the top. Space between the fabric and hard parts under static conditions will not necessarily be maintained when the aircraft is flying.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    St Paul, MN
    KF7 Trigear Flying
    912ULS Warp Drive

Two thank yous to Dave S and HighWing. Wilco .