Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Moving a Kit

Default Moving a Kit

Hello everyone,

In early January I am moving my kit with me over 3000KM away. Does anybody have any tips for packing and transport?

What stuff in my kit needs to be kept from freezing?

Any info would be great!

Default Re: Moving a Kit

Esser, I'm bumping your question in case it was missed by members that have shipped/moved kits themselves.

I would think you would need to guard against the covering products, poly-tak, poly spray, paints ect. from freezing. Not much else I can think of right now that would be hurt by sub-freezing temps.

The wings if completed would be the items to really protect. We hung a semi-finished set from the wood walls of an enclosed trailer with webbing around the spars and screwed into the wall for a secure ride . I'm sure I've seen photos in some members albums of the process. Maybe they will direct you to their photos.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I would also check anything liquid or semi liquid such as Hysol, Super-Fill, Epoxy primer and varnish for freezing precautions.

Jim

DesertFox4 stated that they hung the wings off the sides of an enclosed trailer, which would be the ideal manner to transport the project. If an enclosed trailer is not available or too costly, you should "at least box it up." 3,000 winter miles is a long way, and way too much exposure at night to all kinds of elements including people.

Boxing the fuselage is straight forward.

Here is a suggestion for boxing the wings: Support the wings inside the box by placing them into a cradle that is cut from 1 inch thick plywood to the exact shape as a rib. Three of these are ideal. One at each end, and one in the middle. Deck screws are the best way to assemble the box... nails are more difficult to remove especially considering the delicate contents.

If you or anyone need more pictures, the measurements for the box, etc., feel free to drop me a message... Good luck!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by GWright6970; 12-05-2012 at 09:46 PM.

Just recently moved a partially completed kit from California to Missouri in a Penske truck with no damage.
    The previous owner had experience and it really helped. We had the wings in cradles that were padded then tied them to the side wall slats in the truck with light rope, with carefully placed rented moving blankets to avoid abrasion. the tail feathers were tied to the sidewalls in a similar manner. The fuselage is on its gear, we put ratchet straps to the fuselage and gear then placed a board on the loose straps and then fastened the board to the floor with screws and tightened the straps, worked perfect. The rest was in boxs placed in front of gear to keep them from moving. The rotax was on a tire that was on a pallet and straped in place. It took a while to pack the truck but it was worth it, no damage no problems, and it came off the truck a lot faster than it went on.
    Good luck with your move.
    George

Quote Originally Posted by Esser View Post
    Hello everyone,

In early January I am moving my kit with me over 3000KM away. Does anybody have any tips for packing and transport?

What stuff in my kit needs to be kept from freezing?

Any info would be great!
    Leaving Ontario????? Good luck with the move
    Gary
    Kitfox 4 1200
    Eastern Ontario
    Canada

Thanks for all the tips everyone

Yes wheelerg. I have a job offer I can't turn down. I'll be home every night with weekends off, company truck, and all the perks to go with. I just bought a house west of Edmonton and will be putting my house up for sale in the new year. Not looking forward to moving but it shouldn't be bad.